VFR descent planning into KTOA

NM Doug

VFR descent planning into KTOA

Post by NM Doug »

I was just now flying VFR from KEMT to KTOA - my initial altitude was 3500, and I flew more or less SSE over KFUL and then turned west toward KTOA. I was wondering how I was going to get down to traffic pattern altitude for Torrence, so I initially tried "Socal approach, Cessna 5306U leaving 3500 descending 1100" when I had just overflown KLGB, whose delta airspace goes up to 2600. Approach reminded me of the top of the KLGB airspace and suggested waiting until 5 miles west (and therefore clear of the delta surface area) before descending below 2600.

I wasn't sure when I was clear of the delta surface area, and I waffled a little on starting my initial descent. I ended up too high on the approach to KTOA 19L, so I went around and then landed 19R.

How likely would it be to be granted a transition through the KLGB delta airspace for this descent, and what's the best way to ask? "Socal approach, Cessna 5306U, over Long Beach at 3500, request clearance westbound through the delta airspace at 2000" ?

Also, if I have to (or elect to) stay clear of the Long Beach delta airspace, what would be a sensible way to get down to 1100 for the traffic pattern at KTOA?
Jeff N

Re: VFR descent planning into KTOA

Post by Jeff N »

I'm often in this situation myself, curious to hear what the experts say.
NM Doug

Post by NM Doug »

A little trial and error tonight...I tried the same flight again.

This time, I was at 4500 when I was over KLGB. The request I made was "Socal approach, Cessna 5306U over Long Beach at 4500, request clearance westbound through the delta airspace at 2000." The response was "Cessna 5306U, VFR descent approved."

This made it pretty easy. I'm still curious what the best approach would be if the descent were not approved - if I had to stay outside the KLGB class delta, I'd be at 2600+, and the descent direct in to KTOA would be a little steep, especially if I weren't aware of exactly when I could start my descent! ;)
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

If you're told to remain clear of the LGB Delta, then simply widen out to the south. Remain above the LGB Delta, then continue your descent once you're clear. Contact Torrance tower prior to entering their Delta.
NM Doug

Post by NM Doug »

Thanks, Keith - that sounds sensible. That way, I wouldn't need any authorization for 360s or similar maneuvers, and there are plenty of VFR-available landmarks at the coastline. In the event KLGB is landing on 12, I'm curious if the arriving air carrier traffic would be above me as I'm descending below 2600 - the A/FD has a special notice for KLGB air carrier ops, and it gave me pause!

- Doug