No PE for me for a while

arb65912

No PE for me for a while

Post by arb65912 »

Hello Gentlemen, I was plying with the X-Plane version 10 demo, I updated my video card drivers, windows updates and out of 3 installs of X-Plane , ver 9 and 10 on hard drive and ver 9 on external drive .... none of them work anymore....
Now, I do not know if I want to reinstall ver 9 and keep flying or just wait for version 10 discs to come.
I was so frustrated to lose both ver 9 working .
Guys at LR are very busy and they will not try to fix ver 9 crashes for a month or so.
I guess I am left with the option to wait for the discs and keep my fingers crossed.

I miss flying on PE..... :(

See you again one day, cheers, AJ
Jeff N

Re: No PE for me for a while

Post by Jeff N »

That's a bummer AJ, though it solidifies my decision to not bother with V.10 until it's more sorted out. I'm finally feeling SOMEwhat competent on PE and I'd be rather miffed if I couldn't fly for a while.
arb65912

Post by arb65912 »

Jeff, there is something that made me thinking though .... I had 2 versions 9 working on a separate drives, then I installed demo and updated drivers... then nothing worked.
What I hope for ( Ben Supnik from LR was talking about the drivers some time ago and suggested in some cases of NVIDIA stay with older drivers) is that my mistake was to actually upgrade the driver for my NVIDIA 8800 GPX Graphic Card.
I will try to install the one I had before .... keep your fingers crossed.
One way or the other I am getting back to fly on PE , it just might take a bit.
Thanks for reply, cheers, AJ.
Steven Winslow

Post by Steven Winslow »

Good luck, Andrzej! It would be really easy to say "get a Mac" right now, but I won't. Wait.....I guess I just did! Seriously, good luck figuring out the glitch. I go a little bonkers without a PilotEdge fix at least a couple times a week!
Steven Winslow
CEO/Owner - Air Northwest Virtual Airlines • http://www.airnorthwest.org
People should get what they want when they want it once in a while. Keeps them optimisitic.
arb65912

Post by arb65912 »

Thank you, Steve. I think you just did say ... get Mac..lol
Personally, I think that both systems have their bad a good sides but since I was always PC, I will keep it this way.
I still believe that all is just a matter of time. :)
PE will wait for me, I am sure. Cheers, AJ
Steven Winslow

Post by Steven Winslow »

You know I'm kidding about the "get a Mac" thing, of course. I agree both platforms have good and bad characteristics. Fact is, PC gives you a whole lot more options for home cockpit building. If you want to build something with "real" gauges and instruments, you have to use PC at this point. Simkits is PC only. Oh well, as I said before, good luck getting your X-Plane working.
Steven Winslow
CEO/Owner - Air Northwest Virtual Airlines • http://www.airnorthwest.org
People should get what they want when they want it once in a while. Keeps them optimisitic.
arb65912

Post by arb65912 »

I hear you, Steve. I think it is just when one starts with a particular brand, it just "stays", you know what I mean.

Bad news ... I think , I got the version 9 that I am using for PE flights back... I mean good news ... :D :D :D

I will test tonight, keep your fingers crossed.

I would like to share something with my friends here....

I had 2 instances of X-Plane version 9 installed on separate drives, I used one for VATSIM and the other for PE flights. I downloaded version 10 demo, it crashed so I updated the my NVIDIA 8800 GPX graphic card drivers to the latest ones.

I tried to run version 10 demo, no luck, I e-mailed LR attaching all corresponding files.
Then I have tried to fire X-Plane version 9 and it crashed.....
Then I fired X-Plane version 9 for PE , I flew for 10 minutes and ...it crashed.
I was mad ... I did not know what to do but it I have never thought that the drivers upgrade might be a cause of the crashes until I have read in X-Plane development blog that on some NVIDIA cards it is better to stay with the existing driver.

Last night I reinstalled the driver ( the older one ), I have tried X-Plane version 9 for PE 3 times, two short flights and one long one, no crash.
I have tried version 10 demo and ... no crash, I even got the frame rate up to 40 FPS by playing around with different settings.

Lesson: if your X-Plane version 9 runs fine, make sure you write down the driver version before you upgrade it, you might have to use the old one.

Of course every situation is different and there is no ultimate remedy for successful version 10 setup but I just wanted you to have my painful experiences in mind when installing version 10.

I hope , I will see you guys on PE tonight or if not , tomorrow.

Cheers, AJ