Taxi instructions to cross runway

NM Doug

Taxi instructions to cross runway

Post by NM Doug »

Trying out X-Plane 10 again after tweaking some settings, I just finished a VFR flight from KSNA to KCNO.

On the ground at KCNO and just off 26L at P, I was given (or so I thought) a taxi instruction to "cross runway 26R, taxi to parking via runway 21." I read this back and thought to myself, "hey! I get to taxi on the runway, just like they do at Burbank!" As I was about to pull off 21 at A, the controller instructed me to exit 21 "immediately" - I called to verify the taxi instructions: "...verify taxi instructions were to cross runway 26R and taxi to parking via runway 21." The controller answered, "...negative - the instructions were to cross runways 26R and 21 and taxi to parking via A." (I might not have the wording exactly right.)

I should have known that what I thought were the taxi instructions couldn't be right (or at least not complete), because they certainly would have had an instruction to exit at A to avoid recrossing 26R.

On the other hand, I don't think it's possible any longer for ground to give a single taxi instruction that requires crossing more than one runway - I think the new/current reg is that the second runway crossing instruction can only be given after the aircraft has crossed the first runway.

Hey! Where are the tapes! ;) Just kidding. No need for the tapes. I find things like this very helpful to encounter in PE - it gets me thinking the right way and alerts me to things I want to keep in mind. :)

Cheers,
Doug
Keith Smith

Re: Taxi instructions to cross runway

Post by Keith Smith »

Actually the tapes would be great to have. That day will come :)

It's possible to give a taxi instruction to cross more than one runway if the runway center lines are less than 1000ft apart, JO 7110.65T 3-7-2 (e). Whether that applies in this case, I'm not sure.
NM Doug

Re: Taxi instructions to cross runway

Post by NM Doug »

Ha!

I pulled up the reg to read, and I see that I had missed that subpart before. It's likely the taxi distance between the two runways was less than 1000ft...and though I don't know if the airport manager has filed the requisite paperwork ;) , I see that a taxi instruction to cross both runways is indeed plausible.

Thanks, Keith!

P.S. I'm looking forward to the benefits of listening to the tapes, too - I know we've talked about that before. PE continues to be a great service on an exciting course. :D