Impressed

Orest Skrypuch

Impressed

Post by Orest Skrypuch »

Well, just finished my first flight on PE. What a delight.

For a bit of background, I have flown thousands of hours on VATSIM, and have been on Exec Staff at a well known VA for years where I developed an extensive training program. But, I also own a single engine prop (Piper Dakota) that I put to excellent and frequent use cloud busting in the RW.

So, yes, I really can't get enough of flying, and I must say that I am thoroughly delighted with my discovery of PE. I'm still in the trial period, but plan to continue on as a subscriber. Most of my sim-flying has been heavy metal, but I am now planning to dust off some smaller GA aircraft, and "explore" ZLA/ZOA as well.

Best of luck guys, and I do hope that PE will continue to grow and develop. One thing that I hope will come soon, is VHF simulation. That HD quality sound makes it too easy. ;-)

* Orest
PP/ASEL/IR, Piper Dakota (PA28-236) C-FCPO
President & CEO, UVA, http://www.united-virtual.com
Keith Smith

Re: Impressed

Post by Keith Smith »

Hey there, Orest,

Thanks for the background info, and I'm glad to hear that you like it. There's a lot to see and enjoy here....be sure to spend some time getting to know the drones. I think you'll have a good time with 'em! (See the live map page and click 'show' on the drone section on the top right).

Yes, I do plan to implement degraded audio based on TX/RX range (which we do model under the covers). Also, given your background, I wanted to make sure you were aware that the radio works on ALL freqs, not just freqs where ATC is present. So, you can now fly a non-towered fields and transmit on the CTAF. You'll only be heard by nearby aircraft who are on the same freq. The higher you fly, the better your RX range. It's calculated every 3 seconds.

To get closer to rw radio fidelity, try cranking up your engine noise. rw radios are surprisingly clear, for the most part....they're just hard to hear over the ambient noise more than anything else!
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Btw, your idea to break out the low and slow airplanes is a good one. All of our drone traffic is VFR and below FL180. If you're up at FL250 going SAN-LAS and back, you're going to enjoy the radio system, but you're not likely deal with any other conflicting traffic.

Try some of the low alt TEC routes (even if it's in a jet or turboprop) and it gets more interesting :) Also, bear in mind, you can enjoy the SoCal TEC route system without even filing an IFR flight plan. You can simply call for IFR from one field to another and you'll get issued the canned route (which can be found in the FAA's preferred routes database if you're interested).

Keith
Orest Skrypuch

Post by Orest Skrypuch »

Yup, many drones out there, no doubt all radio silent and perhaps also unverified. Also, I notice that the drones cover ZOA as well -- I thought that that was not covered yet, is it? Will be tuning the CTAFs as applicable.

But have to say, even with my Zulu2's, ATC is definitely not HD, at least not most of the time. ;-)

Yep, planning some TEC routes, take in Big Bear, and Palm Springs, and looking forward to hopping up the coast.

* Orest
Orest Skrypuch

Post by Orest Skrypuch »

I suppose we can fly /A, but is there a good fidelity GA platform out there (MS FSX) that has /G capability with an updatable database (Navigraph)? When I left FS9 behind, it seems I lost a lot of good GA planes.

* Orest
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

On that one, I cannot help. I fly X-Plane, and I fly it /U or /A even though my r/w ride is /G
Orest Skrypuch

Post by Orest Skrypuch »

... and the drones over ZOA, that doesn't mean there is coverage there yet, does it?

* Orest
Jason Baxter

Post by Jason Baxter »

KS can further expand on ZOA but in short, if you tune to 121.5 you can hear hammer and sawing as well as an occasional jackhammer. There's also a sign saying "under construction" although our aviation consultant says the sign should read "Standby, please".
Andrew Doubleday

Post by Andrew Doubleday »

HA!

Welcome Orest, great to see you on here! Been a long time...

Regards,

AJ
Andrew James Doubleday | aj@pilotedge.net
PilotEdge ATCS | University of North Dakota FAA CTI

Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Orest Skrypuch wrote:... and the drones over ZOA, that doesn't mean there is coverage there yet, does it?

* Orest
Correct. They harken back to our beta program (which we ran for a long time prior to the Oct 1 launch). We don't have coverage there yet, but it's comin'.