Whe to switch to Tower frequency

arb65912

Whe to switch to Tower frequency

Post by arb65912 »

Simple question, taxiing to active at KSNA, tuned to Ground frequency.
When I am allowed to switch to Tower frequency?
At the end part of the taxiing or I have to wait till I hold short of the runway?
Cheers, AJ
Orest Skrypuch

Re: Whe to switch to Tower frequency

Post by Orest Skrypuch »

Normal routine is to switch from ground to tower when holding short, unless directed to monitor tower before that. Tower owns all active runways.

* Orest
PP/ASEL/IR, Piper Dakota (PA28-236) C-FCPO
President & CEO, UVA, http://www.united-virtual.com
Colin Payette

Post by Colin Payette »

I would switch to tower as soon as I got to the runup area. No need to sit and monitor ground during that phase. While you're going through your checklist you can monitor all the air traffic around you.
Warrior N1021C | Cub N0614 | Lear N021Q
Private Pilot - Blog
FSX SP2
arb65912

Post by arb65912 »

Thank you gentlemen, I like the idea of switching to tower at runup area. My concern was if it would be OK to switch to Tower wile taxxing but it seems that it is not a good idea. Cheers, AJ
Kyle Rodgers

Post by Kyle Rodgers »

Colin, that is certainly valid, but keep in mind that ground still owns the taxiways and is therefore still responsible for you. While you're in the runup block, ground likely knows what you're doing, but he can't directly talk to you in case he needed anything. It's best to hold off until short of the runway, because that's where the transfer should occur. There's certainly no need to sit and monitor tower during that phase, either.

What you're doing isn't at all wrong at all, but it could end up making life easier for the ground controller if he really needed to get a hold of you (very rare, but something to consider).
Kyle Rodgers
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

I swap once I'm seconds away from the hold short line, or I've joined the conga line for the runway.