Is partial SID allowed to file?

arb65912

Re: Is partial SID allowed to file?

Post by arb65912 »

Thank you, Keith.

That pretty much includes all options. Perfectly understood. The hardest part is a flexibility ( I might use my favorite "say again" :) ) but now I feel much better about what to file and what to expect. :D
Orest Skrypuch

Post by Orest Skrypuch »

You can even just file "direct", if you are /G. You probably won't get it (except in the mid-west), but the RW computer that processes your flight plan will just assign what it wishes in any case.

Obviously a little different here, it is real people looking at your plan at first cut, and the thinking exercise before submitting is a good one.

* Orest
PP/ASEL/IR, Piper Dakota (PA28-236) C-FCPO
President & CEO, UVA, http://www.united-virtual.com
Peter Grey

Post by Peter Grey »

To clarify this a little bit more, there are 2 distinct parts of a SID, the basic departure and the transition route.

The basic departure goes from wheels up to a specific fix (this fix is usually of the same name as the departure), however in all cases it is the fix name that is after the departure in the coded name (in () ). In this case this fix is SLI.

Leaving the basic departure are several transition routes (you'll note transitions branch away starting at SLI), each with a defined end point. These are all listed in the textual description of the SID (along with the code). For this SID there are HEC, LHS, and VTU (the advanced student will notice that one textual description for VTU ignores SLI while the graphical version and another textual description doesn't).

You file a basic departure and in most cases (but not all) a transition. You are not required to use a transition, but you can't make your own without filing a full route for it (at which point its no longer the SID).

For those who want to read more, this all comes from Chapter 2 of the instrument procedures handbook.
Peter Grey
PilotEdge Director of Quality Assurance and Operations
peter@pilotedge.net