Filed IFR route or preferred route?

BeechV35Pilot

Filed IFR route or preferred route?

Post by BeechV35Pilot »

Another question about PE's ATC: Do they routinely give you whatever you file for an IFR flight plan or do they strive to match real world by giving you a preferred route based real world traffic routing?

In other words, if I were to file an IFR flight plan from Santa Barbara (KSBA) to Ramona (KRMN) direct at 7,000 ft, would I receive this in the PE world or would ATC come back with the preferred routing (which I would highly suspect is some type of airway routing given how you pass right over LAX)? Of course I would prefer the latter since it is more realistic, but I understand the limitations if not.
Regards,
Peter
Keith Smith

Re: Filed IFR route or preferred route?

Post by Keith Smith »

Hi again Peter,

You'll get the published TEC route, SBAN32/33/34 depending on aircraft type and LAX's configuration. We have worked very hard to get the handling of IFR aircraft right, all the way down to the local IFR departure instructions from every towered field.
BeechV35Pilot

Post by BeechV35Pilot »

Very nice. Thanks.
Regards,
Peter
BeechV35Pilot

Post by BeechV35Pilot »

Here is a link I found that is maintained by ZLA and will give you the TEC route based on your departing and arriving airport. This is helpful for those like me who are not yet familiar with the TECs in that airspace:

http://www.laartcc.org/tecroutes.php
Regards,
Peter
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Actually, that is for VATSIM (a different online network). They do their best, but their routes are not always up to date. Case in a point, a pilot was doing his I-4 yesterday and filed an incorrect route from SNA-SBD because he wasn't using the correct source of information.

The FAA source is here and works equally well:
http://www.fly.faa.gov/rmt/nfdc_preferr ... tabase.jsp

I've been meaning to add this to the pilot rating system. Edit: turns out, I'd already done it. It's linked from the I-3 and I-4 ratings, both of which utilize the TEC system.
BeechV35Pilot

Post by BeechV35Pilot »

Is that right? I didn't see that this site was a VATSIM site. Sorry about that.
Regards,
Peter