Screen keeps flashing

Discussions surrounding the software that lets pilots connect to PilotEdge and the actual simulators
realkewl

Screen keeps flashing

Post by realkewl »

Wondering if anybody is seeing this problem:

First off, I did a major upgrade on my system.
1.From Vista64 to Win764
2.From IDE HD to SATA 1TB HD
3.From 3 X 3 screens to 3 x 1 using nvidia 2d surround
4. Downloaded the latest PilotEdge Client

Before all these changes my system worked ok, PilotEdge never had a problem, now after the upgrade my system works great. I checked it out for about a week before I got online with PilotEdge. My system ran fine.

However, after I connected to PilotEdge software my center monitor would not show my airplane from outside flashing (disappearing airplane), inside the cockpit was fine. Until I started flying, then the center monitor kept flashing (disappearing) and I could see outside from within the cockpit. Since I was connected and on a IFR flight I didn't want to just quick...so I dealt with it. After the flight and disconnected all went back to normal.

Any ideas and has anybody else seen this?

Thanks,
Ray
Keith Smith

Re: Screen keeps flashing

Post by Keith Smith »

Ray,

This sounds a little bizarre. PilotEdge runs as a separate SimConnect application, connects to FSX, then reads data from the sim and pushes AI aircraft into the session and moves them around. How this would result in flashing screens, I really don't know.

Is it something you can replicate consistently?
realkewl

Post by realkewl »

I agree it sounds very bizarre. Because one, only the center monitor flashes the left and right are fine. I'll try again this evening, but so far I've taken a flight everyday since the rebuild and never seen this until I connected to PilotEdge. BTW, this was with a third party payware airplane ...tonight I'll try a FSX standard and see how that behaves.

Thanks,
Ray
realkewl

Post by realkewl »

Well tonight test was interesting. Started out using the default c172 with g1000, but forgot I cannot enter a flight plan, so switched to Tecnam Sierra. So, restarted FSX with that plane connected to PilotEdge and PilotEdge keep crashing0(AppHang) three times. Restarted again with default C172, then switched to Tecnam Sierra all went well, but nobody could hear me I could hear them...nobody answered my chat either. Close every down restarted FSX with Tecnam, started PilotEdge...quickly started engine and radios. Got a radio check...radio is good. Clearance to taxi...

Tried to call tower...nothing. Ground...nothing...I could still hear you guys just fine. Not sure what to do now...it's getting late here on the east coast i'll wait to hear back from you guys.

On the plus side the screen did not flash and I was able to see thes eplanes from the outside. C172, Tecnam.

Thanks,
Ray
realkewl

Post by realkewl »

Another question...what items does pilotedge change in my fsx.cfg file, if any? I know it sets your traffic to zero, however, if pilotedge crashes it does not set this back is there any other items it changes, because my fsx just CTD. rebooting know

-Ray
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Ray, when you say "nobody answered my chat", what do you mean? There is no support for text transmissions on a given frequency. We do have a PM system, but that's generally for controller-initiated messages, since the pilots can't see the controller's callsign unless they receive a message first.

It sounds like your PTT is having an issue. Is the TX light coming on? Drop me a PM to coordinate a time, and we'll get this worked out.
realkewl

Post by realkewl »

Keith Smith wrote:Ray, when you say "nobody answered my chat", what do you mean? There is no support for text transmissions on a given frequency. We do have a PM system, but that's generally for controller-initiated messages, since the pilots can't see the controller's callsign unless they receive a message first.

It sounds like your PTT is having an issue. Is the TX light coming on? Drop me a PM to coordinate a time, and we'll get this worked out.
Ok that makes since about the chat...

BTW, this wasn't a real big problem...it was actually a good thing for me, it gave me an emergency scenario to work on...radio failure at a control tower...what do you do?

For my filed and planned route was to transistion LAX bravo...but once airborne, after leaving KCMA, and I couldn't get anybody on the radio what do you do?

Well I knew I couldn't fly through bravo airspace...I need to return to KCMA, I squawked 7600...and start looking for light signals.

It was a really good refresher...I had my ipod with 2012 aim/far loaded. Which was good because I couldn't remember the failed radio code. Then I needed to know the light signals. Landed without incident and grounded the plane :-)

Ok i'll PM you about a time...appreciate the help!
-Ray
Mark Hargrove

Post by Mark Hargrove »

Ray,

I run a triple-head display for my "forward view" as well, and I had many problems with nVidia Surround (I was using 2 nVidia GT 560 cards in SLI mode). I saw exactly the problem you're describing (and many others besides). I lived with this for 3-4 months, upgrading to new nVidia drivers every time they posted one. Are you using two nVidia cards or one of the newer ones that has three outputs?
Mark Hargrove
Longmont, CO
PE: N757SL (Cessna 182T 'Skylane'), N757SM (Cessna 337 'Skymaster'), N757BD (Beech Duke Turbine)
realkewl

Post by realkewl »

Mark Hargrove wrote:Ray,

I run a triple-head display for my "forward view" as well, and I had many problems with nVidia Surround (I was using 2 nVidia GT 560 cards in SLI mode). I saw exactly the problem you're describing (and many others besides). I lived with this for 3-4 months, upgrading to new nVidia drivers every time they posted one. Are you using two nVidia cards or one of the newer ones that has three outputs?
Mark,

Super late on this reply, But I'm using 2 nVidia cads. GTX 460. I don't have a problem with my sim at all, I've flow around the world no problem, until I connect with PE. It's almost like if someone keys a mic or talks the screen flickers, because it's not consistent at all.

-Ray