Use of Landing Lights

Mark Hargrove

Use of Landing Lights

Post by Mark Hargrove »

What is an appropriate practice for use of landing lights for smaller aircraft? Landing light on when? Off when?

-M.
Mark Hargrove
Longmont, CO
PE: N757SL (Cessna 182T 'Skylane'), N757SM (Cessna 337 'Skymaster'), N757BD (Beech Duke Turbine)
Peter Grey

Re: Use of Landing Lights

Post by Peter Grey »

This is the FAA recommendation from AIM 4-3-23:

c. The FAA has a voluntary pilot safety program, Operation Lights On, to enhance the see-and-avoid concept. Pilots are encouraged to turn on their landing lights during takeoff; i.e., either after takeoff clearance has been received or when beginning takeoff roll. Pilots are further encouraged to turn on their landing lights when operating below 10,000 feet, day or night, especially when operating within 10 miles of any airport, or in conditions of reduced visibility and in areas where flocks of birds may be expected, i.e., coastal areas, lake areas, around refuse dumps, etc. Although turning on aircraft lights does enhance the see-and-avoid concept, pilots should not become complacent about keeping a sharp lookout for other aircraft. Not all aircraft are equipped with lights and some pilots may not have their lights turned on. Aircraft manufacturer's recommendations for operation of landing lights and electrical systems should be observed.
Peter Grey
PilotEdge Director of Quality Assurance and Operations
peter@pilotedge.net
Mark Hargrove

Post by Mark Hargrove »

Thanks Peter!

Does the 'below 10,000 feet' guideline apply to VFR flights conducted entirely below 10K? --How about to closed traffic flying touch-and-gos?

-M.
Mark Hargrove
Longmont, CO
PE: N757SL (Cessna 182T 'Skylane'), N757SM (Cessna 337 'Skymaster'), N757BD (Beech Duke Turbine)
Orest Skrypuch

Post by Orest Skrypuch »

Closed traffic, you want to be as visible as possible, light yourself up like a Christmas Tree.

In daytime, I turn my wingtip wig-wags and strobes off after 3000ft or so, but keep my landing light on until cruise. If a short flight, will just leave the landing light on the whole time. I have an LED landing light, it will outlast the plane, so little reason not to. Folks with incandescents probably cycle them sooner.

If you are controlled traffic, and above the busy altitudes of say 6000ft and below, then you can rest a little easier. But, when you descend into the melee, you should take every advantage.

Operation lights on was extended up to 18,000ft for airliners, the general recommendation for light aircraft is up to 3000ft for the lights.

* Orest
PP/ASEL/IR, Piper Dakota (PA28-236) C-FCPO
President & CEO, UVA, http://www.united-virtual.com
Chanse Watson

Post by Chanse Watson »

You will see some pilots turn on all available lighting when crossing a runway as well. It is not in the regs, but is listed in AC 120-74A and AC 91-73A.
Peter Grey

Post by Peter Grey »

Does the 'below 10,000 feet' guideline apply to VFR flights conducted entirely below 10K? --How about to closed traffic flying touch-and-gos?
Yes it does officially.
Peter Grey
PilotEdge Director of Quality Assurance and Operations
peter@pilotedge.net
AviatorScott

Post by AviatorScott »

Orest Skrypuch wrote:Closed traffic, you want to be as visible as possible, light yourself up like a Christmas Tree.

In daytime, I turn my wingtip wig-wags and strobes off after 3000ft or so, but keep my landing light on until cruise. If a short flight, will just leave the landing light on the whole time. I have an LED landing light, it will outlast the plane, so little reason not to. Folks with incandescents probably cycle them sooner.

If you are controlled traffic, and above the busy altitudes of say 6000ft and below, then you can rest a little easier. But, when you descend into the melee, you should take every advantage.

Operation lights on was extended up to 18,000ft for airliners, the general recommendation for light aircraft is up to 3000ft for the lights.

* Orest

So you were the one coming into KLHM a few years ago that called on CTAF, "you should see me know I have 1 Million Candle power on each wing" -- :lol: --- No really a guy said that one day. My buddy riding in the right seat almost keyed the mike and said "we've got a hamster with matches on each wing"

Seriously though, I'm with you light it up when you are in indian territory (you know) with all the Cherokees and Apaches and Comanches...

Scott
Scott Woodland, PE, M.ASCE
PPL - ASEL -- IFR