Jason Chandler's XHawk - think fast!

NM Doug

Jason Chandler's XHawk - think fast!

Post by NM Doug »

So, after flying C172s a lot, I thought I'd try to put some pressure on myself to think faster (as if I didn't make mistakes before ;) ). I bought Jason Chandler's XHawk (under his AADX aircraft), which has stall speeds around that of a C152 but can cruise 160kts. It's a complex airplane, but very well behaved. I can tell I'm going to get some good practice with it.

I called up as an experimental, and I told the controller I cruised at 140kts...now I know that's on the slow side.

I didn't put in a type when I entered a VFR flight plan. I'm new to experimental world - is there a "type" to enter on PE?

- Doug
Andrew Doubleday

Re: Jason Chandler's XHawk - think fast!

Post by Andrew Doubleday »

HXA - Cruise speeds 100 knots or less - 500fpm climb rate - 500fpm descent rate
HXB - Cruise speeds 100-200 knots - 750fpm climb rate - 750fpm descent rate
HXC - Cruise speeds greater than 200 knots - 1000fpm climb rate - 1000fpm descent rate
Andrew James Doubleday | aj@pilotedge.net
PilotEdge ATCS | University of North Dakota FAA CTI

NM Doug

Post by NM Doug »

Thanks, Andrew -

A followup question: to a controller over the radio, for example if making an initial call for flight following, would I just include, "type hotel x-ray bravo?" (That seems like the most logical and concise thing to say to get the info across.)

- Doug
Ryan B

Post by Ryan B »

Just say "experimental"....

The controller will figure out how fast you can go usually just based on your ground speed etc...
PE ID: 29
FAA ATCS
FAA PPL ASEL
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Agreed. The ICAO code is not generally referenced over the air. For example, when I was flying the DA-20 A1 and C1 a few years ago (ICAO code is DV40, since DA20 is a Falcon!), I would check in as a Katana or Diamond. If they'd ask what type, I'd say "DA-20 Katana, but the ICAO is DV40 if you need it." (since it wasn't a common aircraft at the time).