Squawkbox

Discussions surrounding the software that lets pilots connect to PilotEdge and the actual simulators
stephane cornelis

Squawkbox

Post by stephane cornelis »

Hi all,

Has anyone of you already noticed a drop of FPS when squawkbox is active? It is the case for me and it drastically reduce the FPS between 20-30 FPS whereas I run normally around 60 FPS ! (FS2004)
If we keep in mind that when we connect to the server, the FS traffic is turned off, the impact on the FPS is even higher :cry:
Is there a way to improve because it is not enjoyable to fly with such low FPS and it's becoming hard to have an accurate flight in these conditions?

Thanks for your help,
Regards.

Stéphane
Mark Hargrove

Re: Squawkbox

Post by Mark Hargrove »

By 'Squawkbox', do you mean the PilotEdge client?

I've never noticed ANY frame-rate drop when running the PE client vs. not running it (I'm running FSX, though, and perhaps that makes a difference).

Are you running the client on the same box as the simulator itself?

-M.
Mark Hargrove
Longmont, CO
PE: N757SL (Cessna 182T 'Skylane'), N757SM (Cessna 337 'Skymaster'), N757BD (Beech Duke Turbine)
stephane cornelis

Hi Mark,

Yes I'm running PE client on the same pc as for FS9. I've also noticed that when I tried to fly on VATSIM in the past. Both VATSIM and PE use squawkbox. I've also found by googling "Squawkbox and performance" that some other users have also a drop of performance when it is started.
I'm continuing to investigate what could cause such FPS drop. If you have any idea, this could help!

Thanks
Stéphane
Mark Hargrove

Post by Mark Hargrove »

I don't have any great ideas for you. What other add-ons are you running? It is possible that this is one of those dreaded "emergent behavior" situations where neither FS2004 or the PE client or some other add-on are causing the problem in a pair-wise fashion, but that all three of them are interacting in a bad way. You might try disabling all other add-ons except the PE client and see if that makes any difference.

-M.
Mark Hargrove
Longmont, CO
PE: N757SL (Cessna 182T 'Skylane'), N757SM (Cessna 337 'Skymaster'), N757BD (Beech Duke Turbine)
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Try reducing the multiplayer visibility in the pilotedge client to 5NM or less as a starting point.
stephane cornelis

Hi Keith,

I'll try to reduce this option and the other also named refresh frequency or something like this. I'll let you know if that has changed something.
Thanks for your help!

Stephane
stephane cornelis

Ok, I did the modifications and unfortunately no improvement of the FPS...This is strange as it is reported by several people but no solutions exist :?

Stephane
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Try flying on PE in an area with no other aircraft, see if that is any different. This is just for debugging, it is not a solution.
stephane cornelis

OK, I'll try this today and let you know.

Stephane
stephane cornelis

FYI, I've tested the server this morning! No human pilots, only drones and I've flown around Mallorca and still the same issue: low FPS and once disconnected 50 FPS.

Stéphane