VFR Flight Following for Real World Pilots

Simon Ambrose

VFR Flight Following for Real World Pilots

Post by Simon Ambrose »

If, in RL, as a VFR pilot, you only file your Flight Plan with a FSS, then your flight plan is NOT entered into the National Airtraffic Database, and when you talk to ATC, they cannot look up your flightplan. !!

This is not always obvious to new VFR pilots, who might think if they "FILED A FLIGHTPLAN" (with FSS), that ATC will know about that plan.

However, there are ways to file your VFR Flightplan with ATC, and have it put into the Database. Typically, best done in advance, when on the Ground, typically via Clearance delivery.

The Video below, from AOPA, explains this procedure in some detail, and is usefull knowledge for any VFR pilot who is planning to ask ATC for "Flight Following" .

http://www.aopa.org/aopalive/?watch=Njd ... egory=Tips
theskunk

Re: VFR Flight Following for Real World Pilots

Post by theskunk »

I admittedly do wish I had seen this -- and frankly, i wish there was a way for me to file via foreflight/fss on the ground at a non-towered field to get my following 'in the system'. This would also help my loving fiancé who doesn't like it when i disappear from flight aware!

I've heard that putting IFR in the actual flight type, and then putting in an altitude of VFR/4500 <or other appropriate vfr alt> will do it, but have never tried that, fearing that i'd be looked upon at first as an IFR flight on initial call up... yikes!