Second day with PE. loved it!

wdhurley

Second day with PE. loved it!

Post by wdhurley »

I am a long time aviation enthusiast and have been a simmer since i was about 12. I started flying in the "real world" :-P when I was 14. I got my PPL for SEL and gliders when I was 18, traveled the US as a Private Pilot and even made it to Oshkosh at the age of 19. I grew up and got a job that prevented me from my passion of flying. I got out of practice and out of currency. 5 years later, I have a few extra dollars in my pocket. I finally got my BFR and rent a 150 when I can. Sadly I can only fly an hour or so a month. Needless to say, I don't get to poke around the skies as much as I wish.

Enter Pilot Edge. My new favorite thing. This is what I wished other programs were years ago. I felt like I was really in the skies yesterday. I took off out of VNY in my trusty L-39 hoping to make a flight down the coast. I got to 3500 and hit IMC. I decended back down and headed back to VNY. I was in the pattern with roughly 5 other pilots of all skill levels from student to IFR instructor. What a blast.

My second flight was a cordial VFR flight from VNY to SBA. I again hit IMC, picked up IFR clearance and shot the full ILS about 15 miles out. What a great experience!

The controllers are absolutely amazing. I knew I was talking to real world ATC. They were crisp, concise, and greatest of all, friendly! Kudos to the English tower Controller at VNY yesterday. I had a ball listening to him deal with the influx of mosquitos (Cessnas) in the air.

Overall, you have my $20 for as long as I can sim. I will be attending ATP in the (hopefully near) future. My future students will definitely be flying in the Pilot Edge skies.

Keith, thank you for such a great product and service.
Denny22

Re: Second day with PE. loved it!

Post by Denny22 »

I second that hurley,

PE is the best thing that has ever happened to me for my real world flying, I just wish it was around when I was getting my Private last Summer, sure would have made my life a whole lot easier. But it sure is making getting my IFR ticket a ton easier and cheaper and not so stressful, there for more fun :) Love, Love, Love PE. Every flight school should be using PE before a new student ever gets in an airplane in my mind. ATC was one of the most intimidating things about first learning to fly.

Denny
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Thank you, gentlemen, that's wonderful feedback. Everyone here at PE really appreciates and it's clear that we are heading in the right direction.

Pay close attention while you're at ATP. You'll hear us there in the sims in the near future, too :)
wdhurley

Post by wdhurley »

Keith, I got your PM. I was going to mention ATP to you. Small world. You should contact North County Flight in Palm Beach, Florida. They have a new Red Bird sim that I believe operates on FSX. What a great setup you have! Walt.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Thanks for the referral, Walt. We'll get in touch with them.
jcar

Post by jcar »

I third that! This is a fantastic tool to keep current.

Denny22 wrote:I second that hurley,

PE is the best thing that has ever happened to me for my real world flying, I just wish it was around when I was getting my Private last Summer, sure would have made my life a whole lot easier. But it sure is making getting my IFR ticket a ton easier and cheaper and not so stressful, there for more fun :) Love, Love, Love PE. Every flight school should be using PE before a new student ever gets in an airplane in my mind. ATC was one of the most intimidating things about first learning to fly.

Denny
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Btw, Walt, I notice you're partial to the L-39. If you're looking for some truly exciting flying, try firing up at KNLC (Lemoore NAS). Park on 32R and watch off your left wing for a flight of 4 F/A-18's (they start every 5 minutes or so), then follow them in the climbing left turn up to 12,500ft out to the Priest VOR (ROM), then drop in on VR1257 (a low level Military Training Route which you can find on Skyvector.com) and blast along at 550ktas for 500nm+ down on the deck. You might need something with more oomph than the L-39 to keep up, though, unfortunately :)

It can become fairly addictive following those drones. Bear in mind, they were flown by hand and have many imperfections (as well as some technical issues such as pauses due to scenery loading at the time they were recorded), but as long as you keep a healthy distance, you can have a good time without losing sight of them!

For something slightly slower (500ktas), there are B-1B's that fly out of KNKX (not terribly realistic, I know, but my choices were limited!) and KPMD fairly regularly that drop on to military training routes starting at the JLI and MQO VORs, respectively.