A big thank you to PE

Sabre

Re: A big thank you to PE

Post by Sabre »

Thanks RiteFlyer, from the story you were very very lucky that day. Did you hear stall alarm go off? What was the AGL when you started the turn to the short final (I understand that's when you stalled)?

@Keith: why didn't you make straight in? From the camera perspective there was enough distance ahead, not too high and not too fast. Otherwise it looked like a very slow tight circle.

Thanks, very interesting.

Sabre.
RiteFlyer

Post by RiteFlyer »

Sabre wrote:Thanks RiteFlyer, from the story you were very very lucky that day. Did you hear stall alarm go off? What was the AGL when you started the turn to the short final (I understand that's when you stalled)?
Sabre, this particular airplane does not have a stall horn or warning, I’m not sure maybe 400-500ft AGL. I’m still flying VFR on PE and will gradually work up through the ratings - it’s my therapy! :D

(When I first joined PE I used to just log on and listen to different frequencies, kind of like I do occasionally with my handheld at my airport...)
"Can't keep my mind from the circling skies
Tongue-tied and twisted just an earth-bound misfit, I”
-Pink Floyd, "Learning to Fly”
Sabre

Post by Sabre »

RiteFlyer wrote:
Sabre wrote:Thanks RiteFlyer, from the story you were very very lucky that day. Did you hear stall alarm go off? What was the AGL when you started the turn to the short final (I understand that's when you stalled)?
Sabre, this particular airplane does not have a stall horn or warning, I’m not sure maybe 400-500ft AGL. I’m still flying VFR on PE and will gradually work up through the ratings - it’s my therapy! :D

(When I first joined PE I used to just log on and listen to different frequencies, kind of like I do occasionally with my handheld at my airport...)
I recall checking that stall sensor with the instructor and then the indicator on the dashboard were important items on the checklist every time at pre- and after start on Yak-18 (single prop, but rather heavy (around 2'200 pounds usually).

PS: Yak-18T I meant.

Sabre.