linux plugin is coming...

injunear

Re: linux plugin is coming...

Post by injunear »

Thank you for your replies! I will send a PM to Rob and try it out. I am running Ubuntu 12.04 at the moment.

Noah
theluckyone17

Post by theluckyone17 »

I haven't seen any mention of it any where else, though I thought I'd pipe up.

I'm running both Windows 8 (Pro, 64 bit) and Linux (Gentoo, 64 bit) on my system. Seein' as I can crank up the settings a bit further under Linux than I can under Windows, and I generally prefer Linux, I've been setting up X-Plane under Linux. I've even picked up an old PCI Creative Soundblaster Live! card, just to get around the sound issues I've had in the past with XSquawkbox.

Which leads me to XSquawkbox, actually. I've been flying on VATSIM for a good chunk of time (joined up in July of 2010; never really went active until Dec' 2011). 270 hours ain't much to sneeze at, I figure. I'd love to stick with them, but the lack of 64 bit support in the foreseeable future is a bit of a crimp. I'm not keen on swapping back and forth between 32 bit and 64 bit under Linux, especially if it means having to sort out the peculiarities of having both flavors of Python installed for some other plugins (such as FSEconomy). Thankfully, I only fly on FSEconomy, and I limit those flights to aircraft I "own". Luckily, the only aircraft I own has had its plugins updated to 64 bit; all the aircraft I foresee myself buying in the near future have also been updated.

So the only weak link in my chain is XSquawkbox.

I haven't seen anything stating that the 32 bit PilotEdge plugin has been officially released, much less the 64 bit. I do see the other two threads focusing on Windows and Mac, though, so I figured I'd speak up here and see if the Linux 64 bit plugin is likely to be released when the other two platforms' plugins are.

If so, I figure it'll be worth the $20 a month to have active ATC while I'm flying. It'll even be worth moving my FSEconomy DHC-2 Beaver from Upstate New York to SoCal.

If not... well, I may be crying in the corner, having to deal with X-Plane's built in ATC (or lack thereof). :lol:
theskunk

Post by theskunk »

Sorry that this thread has been dormant for a while -- Right now I beleive the goal is to get a 64-bit plug-in out, but I'm not sure on the time frame for such a beast, and the other thing that we've been seeing lately is library conflicts on non-ubuntu installs - these aren't your regular every-day library conflicts that you can install a compat-lib and move along from, its actually how the code seems to be linked against the library.

I'll let Keith chime in for the 'official' responses on timing, but right now we're working toward 'stable one-of ubuntu' releases, by request, and I'm working on Fedora 18, which should be able to encompass what you want in Gentoo -- What version of gcc are you running with, as that might help us determine whether the ubuntu compile will work for you or not.
theluckyone17

Post by theluckyone17 »

Can't say I'm too worried about the dormancy. Pretty used to Linux support being on the back burner. It's not like we're in the majority. If I built up anger anytime I thought Linux support was lacking... well... I'd be a very angry man :D.

Running Gentoo puts me in the minority of Linux users, too. I'm used to dealing with issue "porting" from any given distribution into Gentoo, and willing to work around whatever I've got to. Knowing what versions of which libraries the plugin is being built against would help. Worst case scenario, I can set up a chroot specifically for X-Plane, or simply spawn off a partition dedicated for XP, then mask off those newer libraries. If it's not in Portage (Gentoo's package manager), I should still be able to build it manually.

Currently running gcc version 4.5.3.
theluckyone17

Post by theluckyone17 »

Any progress on the Linux side of things?

I figured two months of laying low was worth the shameless bump 8-)