Seeing Correct aircraft

wdhurley

Seeing Correct aircraft

Post by wdhurley »

Hey guys. I'm back from a break, changing jobs and all. I took a flight with a friend of mine last night around the Monterey area. . He was in the Baytower RV-7 (which I have installed) and i was in the Lancair Legacy (which he has). We saw each other as C172's. is there any way to see the correct aircraft rather than the 172?
Keith Smith

Re: Seeing Correct aircraft

Post by Keith Smith »

PE has no idea what you have installed on your hard drive, or the corresponding ICAO code that's associated with it. You'll need to modify the PilotEdge\aircraft\pe.smx file (for FSX) or pe.sm9 (for FS9) to add a mapping from the RV7 and LEG2 ICAO codes to the local FSX aircraft titles. It's a one line change in both cases.

The good news is, they're already in the equipment.txt file in the PE root directory, so you will be able to specify LEG2/RV7 as your equipment type when you connect to the network.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Keith Smith wrote:PE has no idea what you have installed on your hard drive, or the corresponding ICAO code that's associated with it. You'll need to modify the PilotEdge\aircraft\pe.smx file (for FSX) or pe.sm9 (for FS9) to add a mapping from the RV7 and LEG2 ICAO codes to the local FSX aircraft titles. It's a one line change in both cases.

The good news is, they're already in the equipment.txt file in the PE root directory, so you will be able to specify LEG2/RV7 as your equipment type when you connect to the network.
:o Oh boy a Legacy pretending to be a C172 Sacre Bleu---For the uninitiated just how do you modify the PilotEdge\aircraft\pe.smx file ? Tried to open the file, no joy. Once opened just what do you add/alter/delete etc
Answers in one word syllables would be appreciated ;)
arb65912

Post by arb65912 »

Hi Bruce.

You do not need to edit the file, both airplanes are already there.

Keith wrote:
" you will be able to specify LEG2/RV7 as your equipment type when you connect to the network."
At least that is what I understood from Keith's reply.

Cheers, AJ
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

AJ, that's incorrect. Bruce, open the aircraft.cfg file for the Lancair, note the aircraft title. Then, open the pe.smx file and use the other examples that are there to add a new line that maps the "LEG2" ICAO code to whatever YOUR Lancair is called, replacing the spaces with plus signs.

For example, here's the mapping for the Baron:
Beech+Baron+58+Paint1 BE58

If you open the aircraft.cfg file for the stock FSX Baron, you'll see it's called "Beech Baron 58 Paint1"

Hopefully that will make the line above make complete sense. If so, you'll be well-positioned to add additional custom aircraft, based on whatever is on your hard drive.
Vincent Meier

Post by Vincent Meier »

It is a good thing I fly a 172 because I do not know what you guys are talking about. LOL!!

Vince
Vincent Meier

Skyhawk 172: C-FEGU
Baron 58: C-FEED
Cirrus SR22: C-FLAG
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Vince, when pilots fly on pilotedge, the software tells other users what type of aircraft is being flown. The software has to take that info and work out which aircraft to inject within fsx. That's what we're talking about here. :)
bruce

Post by bruce »

Keith Smith wrote:AJ, that's incorrect. Bruce, open the aircraft.cfg file for the Lancair, note the aircraft title. Then, open the pe.smx file and use the other examples that are there to add a new line that maps the "LEG2" ICAO code to whatever YOUR Lancair is called, replacing the spaces with plus signs.

For example, here's the mapping for the Baron:
Beech+Baron+58+Paint1 BE58

If you open the aircraft.cfg file for the stock FSX Baron, you'll see it's called "Beech Baron 58 Paint1"

Hopefully that will make the line above make complete sense. If so, you'll be well-positioned to add additional custom aircraft, based on whatever is on your hard drive.
Thanks Keith, job done! :D
Calvin Waterbury

Post by Calvin Waterbury »

How is this done for X-Plane (9.70)?
Windows 8.1 (64)
ASUS 17" Laptop
2.4 GHz I7-4700HQ CPU
8 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M
1 TB HDD
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

There is a csl folder within the vspro resources folder that maps aircraft icao codes to obj files that represent the aircraft. It doesn't use real aircraft files.

Those are the v7 obj format. We will be moving to the v8 obj former in the future with custom datarefs for control surface animation and gear articulation.