touch and goes at class c airport?

serious_simmer_FSX

touch and goes at class c airport?

Post by serious_simmer_FSX »

I want to do some tng's at a class c airport

so far I've only flown out of class D

I need to clear up several things:

1. do I need to contact clearance and state my intentions for pattern work? or is this only if I'm departing the airport/airspace? or is this only in Class B airspace?
2. then I contact twr and everything works like D except I'll be given a sqawk?
rogers55

Re: touch and goes at class c airport?

Post by rogers55 »

I noticed that no one had replied to this post so I thought I would give it a try. I have flown real world touch and go's as a student with instructor at BUR. We made a request before take off from Whiteman through WHP tower and got a squawk code for landing BUR. After T.O. contacted BUR tower and told them our intentions. After that it was just like a class D airport except for the big airplanes. The had us doing a figure 8 pattern, tng on rwy 08, then left traffic to rwy 15, tng 15, then right traffic to rwy 08. It was great experience.
Keith Smith

Re: touch and goes at class c airport?

Post by Keith Smith »

serious_simmer_FSX wrote:I want to do some tng's at a class c airport

so far I've only flown out of class D

I need to clear up several things:

1. do I need to contact clearance and state my intentions for pattern work? or is this only if I'm departing the airport/airspace? or is this only in Class B airspace?
2. then I contact twr and everything works like D except I'll be given a sqawk?
Rogers55, thanks for bringing this one to life, I'm not sure how we all missed it. Some Class C airports don't require the use of Clearance Delivery for any VFR flights, others want you to call for any VFR departures. However, I'm not sure of any that would be upset if you called ground directly for pattern work since there are unlikely to be any VFR departure instructions being issued, other than the squawk.

I did call for pattern work at Allentown (ABE) during my Lancair transition training, but we were already airborne, heading to Allentown at the time, so I can't say I've ever cold-called ground or delivery for pattern work at a Charlie.

My instinct would be to call ground. If they bark at you and send you to delivery, so be it, it's not the end of the world.

And yes, once you're in the pattern, it's much the same as being in the Delta. Just be prepared to see more than 172's in the local area.