Enter Modified Base Instruction

MMeseke

Enter Modified Base Instruction

Post by MMeseke »

Hello,
I’m looking for a little education here. Last night I was flying from KBFL to KSBA, once handed off to KSBA the tower instructed me to Enter Modified Left Base for 15R. Can anyone please explain to me what “Enter Left Modified Base” means? Needless to say, I got confused and messed this up, but as always ATC was professional and politely let me know I was no “going the wrong way”. I corrected, flew upwind, turned 180 and entered on the downwind. Successful landing, but the more I lean here the better I’ll be up there.
Matt M.
N1134M (Cessna 172)
Keith Smith

Re: Enter Modified Base Instruction

Post by Keith Smith »

If your current position would require you to do some additional maneuvering for you to enter a 'perfect' (read: square) base, and traffic permits, they'll allow or instruct you to enter a modified base. This means that you more or less continue as you are and then turn final at a normal distance from the field rather than having been squared up on a traditional base.
MMeseke

Re: Enter Modified Base Instruction

Post by MMeseke »

Thanks Keith,
Considering my location and my heading that makes a lot of sense. What a great learning tool you have here!
Matt M.
N1134M (Cessna 172)