Training program cockpit videos

Questions and comments about the PE Pilot Training Program
Calvin Waterbury

Re: Training program cockpit videos

Post by Calvin Waterbury »

Just chiming in to say I vote for daytime videos too.
Windows 8.1 (64)
ASUS 17" Laptop
2.4 GHz I7-4700HQ CPU
8 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M
1 TB HDD
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

I-5 video editing complete, encoding now. 1hr and 5min video. Will upload either overnight or tomorrow morning.
Alex Stjepanovic

Post by Alex Stjepanovic »

Looking forward to this one.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

I5 being uploaded now, will be available here http://youtu.be/graxp5CniLs in around 5 hours from the time of this post
Alex Stjepanovic

Post by Alex Stjepanovic »

Love ~51:03 :)
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Opted to record a second I5 for the jet route and FMS pilots. It's edited and is rendering right now. There's some excitement at the end in the form of a unscripted engine failure due to a hung starter.
Mark Hargrove

Post by Mark Hargrove »

The short bit of interstitial music you played while the IRS was initializing cracked me up -- reminded me of a Monty Python skit. Where are Earth did you find that music?

Although it was unplanned, watching you handle the engine out was very educational. Was the failure just randomly generated by X-Plane?

-M.
Mark Hargrove
Longmont, CO
PE: N757SL (Cessna 182T 'Skylane'), N757SM (Cessna 337 'Skymaster'), N757BD (Beech Duke Turbine)
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Mark,

That was a little Easter egg to see if anyone was watching :) I got the idea during the editing, long after it was all filmed, which is why the voice doesn't give you any clue that it's coming. While I was editing, I thought it would be fun to have some 70's game show tune in there. I hopped on over to http://www.gameshowthemesongs.net/themes_library.htm and eventually settled on the 1956 rendition of Beat the Clock. There were some other good ones in there, but the ones I really liked had really terrible audio quality, so I stayed with the first one, even though it's not cheesy 70's.

Yes, it was a random X-Plane failure. "Hung starter" seems like a bit of an odd one to me. That one implies that it's a failure which could only occur DURING a start. It's a bit like getting a blown tire after the gear has retracted (have had those as well). I'm not sure if the failure occurrences are filtered by phase of flight. Some of them probably should be :)

What I learned from this is that I'd like to learn more about the hyradulics on the CRJ-200. Once I secured the left engine, I figured I might lose some of the hydraulic systems, but it never happened. If you pause on the shot of the hydraulics display, you'll see that the one of the feeds from the #1 engine is indeed closed...but there appears to be a second connection off the same engine that keeps running. I'm not sure if it was windmilling or what. I'm going to go back and do some tests and some reading to find out some more.

Knowledge of systems is critical for real world flying (I learned that during my PPL checkride oral portion where I was lambasted for my lack of system knowledge). That's why I'm a fan of really getting to know the planes in the sim, at least in the cases where they've been modeled to such a high level of fidelity. I'm really just getting to know the CRJ and Jetstream right now.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Uploading I-3, will be available here http://youtu.be/RNuDMIR60Xg in around 2 hours from now.