Trying to find X-Plane

djrisc

Trying to find X-Plane

Post by djrisc »

I've decided to give X-Plane 10 a try, and switch from FSX.

I have been looking for it locally everywhere. I checked Best Buy, Target, and Game Stop. No one had it. I think I'm going to try Frys now as that's where I got my Cessna yoke. (So I'm hoping they have it.)

Is anyone using X-Plane 10 with the Saitek Pro Flight Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, and Trim wheel? Any hints on configuring it as realistic as possible?

Also, any add-ons that people really recommend that I should have on day 1?

I'm hoping I can pick it up tonight and not have to wait a week for X-Plane to ship it to me.

Thanks!

Brett
Brett Johnson
Los Angeles, CA.
PE: Skyhawk C172 - N8979T
Mark Hargrove

Re: Trying to find X-Plane

Post by Mark Hargrove »

I'm using X-Plane 10 with the full Saitek stack -- Yoke, TPM, 2 radio panels, multi-panel, backlit panel. I have the trim wheel, but it's currently not plugged in (the multi-panel also has a trim wheel). You'll need an X-plane plugin for the various radio, etc. panels but the yoke and throttle quadrant work out-of-the box after you go through the x-plane axis assignment and calibration process.

As a very recent convert to X-Plane myself (with lots of help), I'll simply advise you to be very patient with installation, configuration, and initial startup. X-Plane is definitely NOT FSX.

-M.
Mark Hargrove
Longmont, CO
PE: N757SL (Cessna 182T 'Skylane'), N757SM (Cessna 337 'Skymaster'), N757BD (Beech Duke Turbine)
djrisc

Post by djrisc »

Thanks Mark,
Yeah, hopefully I won't pull all my hair out trying to get it setup. I struggled like crazy to get my yoke responding correcting in FSX.

Brett
Brett Johnson
Los Angeles, CA.
djrisc

Post by djrisc »

Picked it up at frys!

Hopefully I can get it configured tonight and still get some pe flying time in.

Brett
Brett Johnson
Los Angeles, CA.
djrisc

Post by djrisc »

X-Plane 10 regional: North America

I'm fighting getting it setup. yikes this is rough. lol

Brett
Brett Johnson
Los Angeles, CA.
Kevin_atc

Post by Kevin_atc »

djrisc wrote:X-Plane 10 regional: North America

I'm fighting getting it setup. yikes this is rough. lol

Brett
There's no question that there is a major learning curve when going from FS to XPlane. However, let me assure you it will be worth it in the end if you're looking to fly smaller props. Hang in there!
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
djrisc

Post by djrisc »

I was configuring all my controllers sitting on the ramp in X-Plane last night, and lightening crashed (I had real LA weather enabled) and I almost jumped completely out of my skin. lol The weather is MUCH cooler in X-Plane.

I've got everything pretty much configured now, just struggling with a few minor things and I should be ready to go by this evening.

I also just noticed that Carenado is having a xmas sale on all their sim aircraft (50-60% off). As a kid growing up on an a GA airport I was obsessed with the V35 Beechcraft Bonanza, I think I'll have to pick that up. :)

Happy flying!

Brett
Brett Johnson
Los Angeles, CA.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Awesome.

If your video can handle it, be sure to turn on HDR rendering. You'll see some visual effects that will knock your socks off. It's switched off by default, though.

If you ever want to see your frame rate, Settings->Data Input & Output, first item in the list on the top left, click the FOURTH checkbox to output to screen. The other checkboxes will output the data to the network, disk, etc.

Grab one or two high quality planes and fly them until you're blue in the face before picking up more airplanes, that would be my advice. Also, be sure to turn the flight model realism to the highest level, otherwise, it's like running a Ferrari with the emergency brake on. You'll have all the disadvantages of X-Plane without its benefits.