External Visuals on XPlane 10.11

Mark Hargrove

External Visuals on XPlane 10.11

Post by Mark Hargrove »

Is anybody else running external visuals with networked PC's on XPlane? While setup itself is quite easy, I'm having terrible trouble getting all of the external visual displays to behave themselves. I have 5 "slave" systems running the external visuals. All of them have identical rendering settings, including having "lock to panel view" checked -- but on two of my five displays, "lock to panel" doesn't seem to work. When I switch the master PC to 3D view so I can pan around the cockpit, two of the five displays ALSO move (both translation and rotation; all six axes of movement are replicated on the two misbehaving external visuals -- and I don't mean "duplicated" -- the views happen to be my 45 and 90 degree left displays, and the camera stays rotated 45 and 90 left -- but the external camera motions are synchronized with the master PC moves, though still appropriately rotated).

Three of the externals, (straight ahead, 45 right, 90 right) don't move (which is what I want). This is driving me crazy. I've looked at the settings to make sure they're the same about 19 times, and have even completely removed and re installed XP on one of the systems to see if that made any difference. It didn't. If ALL of the systems panned, I'd figure this was just a bug in XP 10.11. If NONE of them panned -- well, then I'd be happy; that's what I want. How can it be that SOME of them pan and others don't? [but, hmm, even as I type this it occurs to me that there is a commonality here: both of the misbehaving displays have negative offsets for the display rotation....that's worth looking into....]

While we're on the topic of XP display, why can't I move the camera in 2D "panel" view? I'd like to move the eyepoint (or whatever they call it in XP) to the right a bit on my master system, but I seem to have to be in 3D mode to do that. FSX allows the camera to be moved in either 2D or 3D mode.

-M.
Mark Hargrove
Longmont, CO
PE: N757SL (Cessna 182T 'Skylane'), N757SM (Cessna 337 'Skymaster'), N757BD (Beech Duke Turbine)
Mark Hargrove

Re: External Visuals on XPlane 10.11

Post by Mark Hargrove »

Well, apparently nobody here is flying with networked displays (yet), but just FYI, I've learned in the x-planes.org forum that the problem I described below is a known/confirmed bug in X-Plane 10.
Mark Hargrove
Longmont, CO
PE: N757SL (Cessna 182T 'Skylane'), N757SM (Cessna 337 'Skymaster'), N757BD (Beech Duke Turbine)
Keith Smith

Re: External Visuals on XPlane 10.11

Post by Keith Smith »

Hi Mark,

I've used many multi-machine visuals, but haven't had to configure them before.

Regarding the 2D panel, they've changed a lot over the years. They've always allowed vertical panning, but I'm not so sure about the horizontal panning. You could ask Austin to find out.