Coastal Route as part of a VFR flight

Questions and comments about the PE Pilot Training Program
iomagico

Coastal Route as part of a VFR flight

Post by iomagico »

My intention is to fly VFr from Saint Luis Obispo airport to John Wayne airport with bravo transition of Los Angeles airspace via Coastal Route at 5500 feet, and have two questions.
1- Is better to ask for a standard VFR departure from Saint Luis and coordinate on air with ATC the transition 20/30 miles before bravo airspace or asking for VFR advisories on ground till final airport (KSNA) ?
2- what have to indicate as Route on the VFR Flight Plan for Peawere records ?
Thanks in advance
Keith Smith

Re: Coastal Route as part of a VFR flight

Post by Keith Smith »

The Coastal Route is handled by Socal Approach. KSBP is in the Santa Barbara TRACON. There is no need to inform Santa Barbara Approach of your intention to fly the Coastal Route, it's out of their jurisdiction, and doesn't give them any information they need to know regarding your routing.

I would wait until you're close enough to the Coastal Route ground track to mention it...probably right around the first handoff to Socal Approach, or failing that, once you're within 10-15nm of the lateral bounds of the LAX Bravo.

File anything you want in the VFR route. If you want it to match roughly what you plan to fly, then pick fixes and naviads which closely represent the ground track you intend to fly. Don't assume that ATC can see it, though.
iomagico

Post by iomagico »

Keith Smith wrote:The Coastal Route is handled by Socal Approach. KSBP is in the Santa Barbara TRACON. There is no need to inform Santa Barbara Approach of your intention to fly the Coastal Route, it's out of their jurisdiction, and doesn't give them any information they need to know regarding your routing.

I would wait until you're close enough to the Coastal Route ground track to mention it...probably right around the first handoff to Socal Approach, or failing that, once you're within 10-15nm of the lateral bounds of the LAX Bravo.

File anything you want in the VFR route. If you want it to match roughly what you plan to fly, then pick fixes and naviads which closely represent the ground track you intend to fly. Don't assume that ATC can see it, though.
Thanks Keith for your prompt and exhaustive answer (as always you do...)
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

You're welcome. And I'm glad my answer exhausted you. Now you're half way to being me ;)
iomagico

Post by iomagico »

Keith Smith wrote:You're welcome. And I'm glad my answer exhausted you. Now you're half way to being me ;)

:D :D :D

If you mean this way I can "steal your knowledge"
well....
I have a very very long way to go

:D :) :D
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

You're very kind, but I was thinking more along the lines of getting just a few hours of sleep each night.

Oh that's right, you have twin babies...you're in the same boat :)
iomagico

Post by iomagico »

Keith Smith wrote:You're very kind, but I was thinking more along the lines of getting just a few hours of sleep each night.

Oh that's right, you have twin babies...you're in the same boat :)

Yes definitely !!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
arb65912

Post by arb65912 »

Angelo, I just realized it was you flying on PE. Isn't it great? Every time I fly on PE, I feel like it was a flight in real life, I do many extra things that I would not bother flying on VATSIM.
I hope the twins let you spend enough time flying on PE, don't we all need more time?

Keith, I really do not know HOW you cal do ALL what you are doing..... keeping fingers crossed so you can get some well deserved rest.

Sorry for the off topic comments. :) Cheers, AJ
iomagico

Post by iomagico »

It's just fantastic.
Have exactly the same feelings I had when I got my APPL licence.
Many times of my day I discover myself thinking on charts, VFR and ATC communications on PE and love it

Well, find time to spend on PE, that's hard.
My babies got priority so I have to wait they sleep or they go somewhere with my wife. Very funny game is choosing flight time according to the twins sleeping hours :D
So please, (to ATC or other traffic) if you hear someone crying or screeming .... it's not me :roll: :mrgreen:
it's just ... Bad timing :lol:
arb65912

Post by arb65912 »

So please, (to ATC or other traffic) if you hear someone crying or screeming .... it's not me
:lol: :lol: You made my day, Angelo. Enjoy PE flights as much as the twins let you. :D Cheers, AJ