What I miss about Xplane

Daddy O

What I miss about Xplane

Post by Daddy O »

I was flying in some pretty bad weather the other day, hardball IFR, all very pretty, but it was missing something. Does anyone remember the weather in version 7 I think it was? The lightning effects & rain? In a dark room it would make you think it was really storming outside.

Does it seem like lightning has been missing for the last 2 versions?
Daddy O

Re: What I miss about Xplane

Post by Daddy O »

And the rain effects. When you flew into heavy rain it was deafening. 9 had some great hail damage, but not quite the driving rain effect in the sound system.

And Xplane only has 1 Xplane left in the stable. We need more Xplanes. There used to be the X3 stilletto, the X1, XB70, and the NASP have all gone away. Ooooh, I have got to fly the X15 with my HUD!
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

I've seen lightning several times in xp10.
arb65912

Post by arb65912 »

Same here.
Daddy O

Post by Daddy O »

Yep, was just in heavy lightning (and snow) using real weather at KGCN today. It was really miserable, but you just saw lightning bolts and heard a rumble. Back in 7 it lit the whole world, then the noise.

Xp9 & 10 do a great job of rendering a cloudy strobe light and all of its disorienting effects (especially disconcerting over multiple monitors.) But not so much for the lightning strikes.

Snow was way cool though. With my landing lights on it looked like I was flying through hyperspace. Totally disorienting. And XP10 does model wingtip icing. KGCN was brutal today, but a fun brutal.
arb65912

Post by arb65912 »

Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Maybe it's an HDR on/off issue? I've had lightning light up my entire cockpit in v10.
arb65912

Post by arb65912 »

It might be, I have mine off for a reason I do not remember now, something related to seeing PE planes, I think.
Calvin Waterbury

Post by Calvin Waterbury »

After reading this thread I decided to check it out in my 9.70. Sure enough I saw lightning light up the clouds and saw a couple of instances of lightning streaks. I thought I heard thunder rumbling off in the background, but I haven't positively identified that phenomenon yet. I'll report back after I can check it out some more.
Windows 8.1 (64)
ASUS 17" Laptop
2.4 GHz I7-4700HQ CPU
8 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M
1 TB HDD