ATC Sound Problem

mikealphacharlie

ATC Sound Problem

Post by mikealphacharlie »

I haven't knowingly done anything to my sound settings but suddenly I have a sound problem. ATC tells me that my transmission is distorted and has an echo. I can hear ATC perfectly well. I have tested the mic using other apps and it works fine. I have recycled my internet connection - but that didn't help either. I'm using XP10.20 on OSX (just patched to 10.8.3 today as it happens). Any clues?

Steve
Keith Smith

Re: ATC Sound Problem

Post by Keith Smith »

OS10.8.x and XP10.20 seems to be a bad combination for the audio library that we use. We've gotten more and more reports of this. Until we can move to the new library (which I believe does fix the issue), there isn't a solution that springs to mind other than using XP10.11.

Moved this from the Pilot Forum to the X-Plane forum.
mikealphacharlie

Getting back to 10.11 isn't an option unfortunately as I don't have a copy. I'd have to reinstall from the DVD and stay at that version. Any idea when the audio library will be updated at the server end?

Steve
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Hi Steve,

As painful as that is (installing from DVD), you might want to consider it. I don't have a date for the migration. It involves every single customer upgrading at the same time since the libraries aren't backward compatible....that's non-trivial.

Another alternative, I've been told is to run X-Plane with the --no_sound option. The method for doing this is documented here:
http://developer.x-plane.com/2006/10/ho ... n-x-plane/ (at that time, --no_sound didn't exist as an option, but it does now).

I should have word on whether we'll be getting a 64-bit build of the current version of the library, we'll see if that will help.
mikealphacharlie

I reverted to the DVD installation (10.05) and my sound is now working correctly. Thanks for the assistance and also to ATC for their patience.
Steve