Military fields are now uncontrolled

Jason Baxter

Re: Military fields are now uncontrolled

Post by Jason Baxter »

Keith Smith wrote:March Air Reserve base is now considered a towered airport again. It is the only towered airport on PE that has active drone traffic using a runway. If that becomes a problem, I'll relocate those drones as needed. They're relatively infrequent, though, and highly consistent in their behavior.
Not to open Pandora's box but is PMD under similar consideration?
Jason Baxter

Post by Jason Baxter »

Since it's March's first appearance as a spotlight airport take a look at this scenery since RIV is a default layout airport.

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?app ... owfile=961
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

The existing F-15 drones at March ARB (KRIV) turned out to be more of a problem than expected. Now that March ARB is towered, it was decided to discontinue the use of those F-15's. They were removed a couple of minutes ago.

The purpose of those drones was to provide conflicting traffic for the SADDE, RIIVR, and SEAVU arrival streams into LAX as well as the TANDY arrivals into LGB/SNA.

I will re-record the flights such that we still obtain the desired enroute conflicts, but without utilizing a towered airport (KRIV).
Cyrus

Post by Cyrus »

Trying to get through some old forum posts and saw this one.

So, at this time, are there any towered fields on PE that have landing/departing drone traffic? I can imagine that it might be a challenge to manage for the controllers, but I'm thinking it could be fun to taxi with them, wait in line, etc.
-Cyrus Kapadia. A few RW hours in a C172, then a 15 year hiatus. Joined PE in Dec'12, then took a break. Now I'm back, learning fast and loving it. If I'm on, it's usually between 22h and midnight EST with Baron 258E, Skyhawk 176CM or Learjet 66L.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

No. The closest thing to it would be GCN which has some helicopters that operate from the non-movement area on the east side of the ramp. ATC will refer to them if they're an issue while you taxi. Those helicopters were put there before I'd finalized the coverage area and I wasn't sure if GCN was going to be a supported airport. I hedged my bets and made sure the helicopters didn't utilize the runway.

If you want to see the drones in action, go to the non-towered fields. The hybrid situation you're talking about where you're being directed by ATC, but they're not working the traffic that just took off or landed is not one I'm willing to entertain.
Preston Martin

Post by Preston Martin »

Any way of using say the FSX Ai voicepacks assigned, to hear Ai on a given frequency, then have ATC ALWAYS give priority to drones? Then there would be no conflict. ......Edit just read the last line of the last post...Sorry Keith.
Pshavack

Post by Pshavack »

New to PE and it's great to be here! For my clarification when operating out of the uncontrolled military facilities when filing for an IFR flight plan, where should I request my clearance? Thank you so much.
Kevin_atc

Post by Kevin_atc »

Pshavack wrote:New to PE and it's great to be here! For my clarification when operating out of the uncontrolled military facilities when filing for an IFR flight plan, where should I request my clearance? Thank you so much.
Treat it like an uncontrolled airport. So you can either depart VFR an request to pick-up your IFR clearance once airborne (pending you don't depart into bravo/charlie approach airspace) or simply call up the overlying approach facility listed on your charts/AFD and request your clearance like you would at an uncontrolled field.
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
Pshavack

Post by Pshavack »

Thank you, Sir