IFR with no routing specified (potential dumb question!)

Cyrus

IFR with no routing specified (potential dumb question!)

Post by Cyrus »

While listening to some PE recordings the other day, I could have sworn that I heard someone make a request for an IFR flight, and mention "no routing preference" (or something like that). I could have misheard, but I thought I'd ask...

Is it possible (i.e. normal, even if a little unusual) to file an IFR flight plan WITHOUT a specificed route, and have the Clearance Delivery controller determine and communicate the routing back to you?

I did give the AIM a quick scan first (unlike me), but couldn't find anything about this. Also Googled it.... nada.

(Yes, it may be a question that breaks the "there's no such thing as a dumb question" rule :lol: )
-Cyrus Kapadia. A few RW hours in a C172, then a 15 year hiatus. Joined PE in Dec'12, then took a break. Now I'm back, learning fast and loving it. If I'm on, it's usually between 22h and midnight EST with Baron 258E, Skyhawk 176CM or Learjet 66L.
Keith Smith

Re: IFR with no routing specified (potential dumb question!)

Post by Keith Smith »

'no route' implies 'direct'. Direct airport to airport flights are technically possible, but on a practical basis, you're not going to get it in busy terminal areas like Socal, New York, Chicago, Miami, etc. Many pilots will learn to fly in rural areas, where direct routing is given on a daily basis, then try to bring that technique to the busy airspace and get overwhelmed by all the airways, VORs and intersections in the assigned route.

There are occasions where direct routing with no fixes is not permitted, such as cases where your flight spans multiple ARTCC's. In those cases, you're supposed to file at least one fix within 100nm of the boundary of each ARTCC. This is to give the ageing FAA computer a fair shake at what you're up to :)

You can file direct in Socal, but you're going to get the TEC route or otherwise preferred routing. This happens automatically thanks to the FAA's systems. So, the clearance delivery controller just reads out what's on the strip as a full route clearance....probably with a loud sigh first, because had you filed the TEC route to begin with, the radio interaction would be considerably faster ;) On PE, we don't have route processing systems in place yet, so the controller would have to manually amend the route.
Pieces

Post by Pieces »

There are occasions where direct routing with no fixes is not permitted, such as cases where your flight spans multiple ARTCC's. In those cases, you're supposed to file at least one fix within 100nm of the boundary of each ARTCC.
. Source for this? I haven't come across that in my studying.
Reece Heinlein, PPL - IR, KMZZ
PilotEdge I-11
Alphabet Challenge
Peter Grey

Post by Peter Grey »

AIM 5-1-8 d. 2 f. (it's 200 miles however, not 100).
Peter Grey
PilotEdge Director of Quality Assurance and Operations
peter@pilotedge.net
Pieces

Post by Pieces »

AIM 5-1-8 d. 2 f. (it's 200 miles however, not 100).
Perfect, thanks.
PilotEdge I-11
Alphabet Challenge
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Thx for the correction, PG! I haven't looked, but there are other restrictions on direct in there, too, that relate to altitude stratums, and other very exciting topics. Truthfully, I struggle to remember it because I have never intentionally filed direct in my life.
Cyrus

Post by Cyrus »

Thanks, y'all. So now let me take it to the next level...

Say I wanted to fly IFR from Santa Barbara to Palm Springs, but fly over Catalina (in the interests of sightseeing). Would this be a valid ROUTE to file?:

SXC SLI TRM

In other words, this:

http://skyvector.com/?ll=33.98020207860 ... :A.K2.KPSP

Basically, I'm looking to get my feet wet with some IFR routing and ATC work, but not start adding SIDs and STARs into the mix just yet (although I realize that the clearances I get may involve them one way or another anyway). I'm looking for quick ways to file (based on desired routing), and then I'll handle the workload as it comes through the clearance.

Also, with this sort of flight "ad hoc" IFR planning, does it make a difference whether I'm in a C172, a Learjet, or even a 747? (real world issues aside)

And, yes, I'm still working my way through the IFR workshops :D

As always, thanks!
-Cyrus Kapadia. A few RW hours in a C172, then a 15 year hiatus. Joined PE in Dec'12, then took a break. Now I'm back, learning fast and loving it. If I'm on, it's usually between 22h and midnight EST with Baron 258E, Skyhawk 176CM or Learjet 66L.
Cyrus

Post by Cyrus »

I should add, that when I punch [KSBA to KPSP] into SimRoutes.com, I get three options. However, none of them take me along the route that I'd prefer, i.e. down the coast.
Anthony Santanastaso

Post by Anthony Santanastaso »

Taking a quick look at your requested route, it appears as if you are putting yourself knowingly into several Warning Areas (http://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publicat ... m0304.html). Also, what type aircraft would you be flying? Personally, I would not want to be that far out over the water at a fairly low altitude with a single engine aircraft. Also, consider where you would have to glide in order to land. Especially when you are abeam the departure side of KLAX under normal operations, gliding toward the coast would cause a lot of havoc, I would think.
Anthony Santanastaso
PilotEdge ATCS
Private Pilot ASEL
Twitch broadcasts: Archived | Live
Pieces

Post by Pieces »

You can file that, but you will almost certainly not get that routing because there are published preferred routes and in the real world traffic flows that you would conflict with.

It seems to defeat the purpose to fly IFR (i.e. you can't see out the window because its cloudy) to go sight-seeing. The goal is to safely get planes from point A to point B in less than great weather.
PilotEdge I-11
Alphabet Challenge