Changing squawk codes - standby?

Jeff N

Changing squawk codes - standby?

Post by Jeff N »

I read somewhere that it's "proper technique" to switch the transponder to standby when changing squawk codes. Reason being so you don't accidentally transmit an emergency code or confuse the controller. Should I get into that habit on PE?
Orest Skrypuch

Re: Changing squawk codes - standby?

Post by Orest Skrypuch »

Bad idea. Once you go to standby, you disappear on the radar scope as a secondary target RW, that may also be the case on PE.

Just change the units and tens digits first. As long as they are not zero, you can't hit 75/76/7700.

* Orest
PP/ASEL/IR, Piper Dakota (PA28-236) C-FCPO
President & CEO, UVA, http://www.united-virtual.com
Anthony Santanastaso

Post by Anthony Santanastaso »

Jeff N wrote:I read somewhere that it's "proper technique" to switch the transponder to standby when changing squawk codes. Reason being so you don't accidentally transmit an emergency code or confuse the controller. Should I get into that habit on PE?
Hi Jeff,

I have never heard of the proper technique that you mention about changing squawk codes, and I fly in one of the busiest airspaces in the US. The only thing that I was taught was to be cognizant of the sequence of digits you change in an effort to avoid the emergency codes. For example, when changing your squawk from 1200 to 7101, you would change the last three digits first and then the first one in order to avoid a possible flash of 7500.

I referenced the AIM and Airplane Flying Handbook and did not find anything that mentions about Squawking Standby when changing squawk codes. Unless I missed something, I do not believe that this would be the preferred procedure.

Also, just to add from a controllers standpoint, I would rather see a limited data block with your callsign still associated with the primary target than seeing a primary target with no information whatsoever (as in, Squawking Standby). The time between the change is so miniscule that I do not believe it would be an issue.

Regards,

Anthony

(PS - As Orest said above, we have the capability of only seeing a primary target with no secondary radar information.)
Anthony Santanastaso
PilotEdge ATCS
Private Pilot ASEL
Twitch broadcasts: Archived | Live
Jeff N

Post by Jeff N »

Got it, thanks. Yeah, it struck me as a little questionable, glad to know that's one less thing to worry about. I will, however, get into the habit of changing the first digit last.