Considering Track IR

twharrell

Considering Track IR

Post by twharrell »

OK, I realize no one can make this decision for me, but I would like some feedback (good and bad) on your experiences with Track IR. Currently, I am using OPUS camera views to change my cockpit viewpoints, and for the most part it works well. There are still challenges, though, especially when flying approaches visually or when things are happening fast. Trying to switch camera views by pressing a button can sometimes put you behind the airplane when a lot is going on.

My reluctance to purchasing the Track IR is strictly concerns over comfort. Is it going to strain my neck? Will I get headaches from looking at my monitor from the periphery of my visual field, when my head is turned to the left or right? Other concerns are will it fix the current issues I addressed in the first paragraph? Does it make my flying experience more realistic? Will it work well with OPUS?

Again, I'd like to hear experiences from both sides.

And, if anyone wants to sell their Track IR system, let me know.

Todd
Regards,

Todd
matt

Re: Considering Track IR

Post by matt »

I've been considering Track IR as well. I like flying very tight patterns and changing views with keyboard or button on my controls gets in the way a bit. My problem is that I use Macs, I don't think TrackIR supports Mac. I would have to make my own driver for TrackIR (however, I think Sandy Barbour made one). If you start using one before I do, let us know how it went!
Vincent Meier

Post by Vincent Meier »

Hi Todd,
I tried TrackIR for a while but found out that it caused me to have motion sickness after about a half an hour of use.
If you do not suffer from motion sickness from anything (boats, planes, cars, etc) then you should be fine.
I did like that it was so smooth and the fact that it felt like you were actually looking around. It is a way easier for pattern work and visual landings. It is harder to focus on stationary objects like the instrumentation panels(because of your slight head movements), but once you get used to it, it works quite well. I preferred it to be set just to look horizontally and not vertically. You can freeze it to do that.
I also used F12 quite frequently. Centering it on and off when required as I was flying.
Unfortunately, I have already sold it to someone here on PE who is quite happy with it.
Last edited by Vincent Meier on Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vincent Meier

Skyhawk 172: C-FEGU
Baron 58: C-FEED
Cirrus SR22: C-FLAG
Pieces

Post by Pieces »

I had a freetrack rig (free alternative to TrackIR) for a long while, and then recently upgraded to a TrackIR. (Actually got a used one from another PE user). I love it. No neck strain, and for me no motion sickness or headaches. The software accentuates your head movements so with my current profile, 90 degrees left or right in game is only about a 25 degree turn of the head. On my monitor that puts the center of my view over near the edge of my monitor, but its close enough to easily center my view with my eyes.

Interacting with the cockpit via the mouse is still a fiddly procedure, though it is easier to position your viewpoint exactly over what instrument you want and freeze it there while you make any adjustments.

At this point, I can't fly without head tracking enabled. Maybe if I had more of a wraparound screen I could do it, but with a normal sized monitor I find the headtracking indispensable.

EDIT: I'm the happy pilot who purchased Vince's rig :)
Reece Heinlein, PPL - IR, KMZZ
PilotEdge I-11
Alphabet Challenge
lwilliams

Post by lwilliams »

I totally agree with Pisces. I can not and will not fly aircraft unless I can use my TrackIR4...it's indispensable to me.

Yes., the only downfall is the precision tuning because of the slight head movement, but I have made adjustments and make a temporary adjustment in 2d when necessary or difficult....but the gain in realism the rest of the time, more than makes up for it......just one man's opinion......

Lee
Lee Williams
gavink42

Post by gavink42 »

I've used the Track IR for a little over a year now with my FSX setup.

For me, it solved the hardest part of flying a sim... trying to land without the normal visuals that I get in real life from simply turning my head.

I purchased the Track IR Pro with the TrackClipPro.

http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/products/trackir5/
http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/02- ... p-PRO.html

It clips onto my headset and plugs into a USB port to power the IR LEDs. The sensor is mounted on the top edge of my monitor and takes up a USB port. It does have a dongle on it that will power the TrackClipPro, which will save you a USB port.

The long TrackClipPro power cord runs along with my headset cord to the computer. It's very lightweight and in fact, I don't even know it's there.

Using the Track IR does take a little getting used to. But, once you do, you'll find your sim experience greatly enhanced.

Because I find it impossible to keep my head completely still, it can be a bit tricky to operate items on the instrument panel with the mouse. But, I pause the TrackIR with a tap of the F9 key, and then unpause after I'm done with the mouse. In reality, I hardly have to use the mouse to operate panel controls, because I invested in a Saitek Radio Panel and also a Multi Panel.

The basic version (without the optional TrackClipPro) uses a metal reflective device that sits on a ballcap you wear. I chose to not go this way, so I couldn't tell you if it operates as well as what I purchased.

Bottom line... Would *I* still be simming without the Track IR setup? Not a chance!

Gavin
- PP ASEL, instrument, complex, high performance
- Member AOPA, EAA, IMC Club, Piper Owner Society
- Cherokee 180C owner
Mark Hargrove

Post by Mark Hargrove »

I'm going to post the counter-argument. :-)

I have tried three times (over three generations of the TrackIR product) to make the TrackIR work for me, and finally gave it up as unsatisfying. The thing is, I don't find it at all realistic to turn my head to, say, the left, while keeping my eyes moving to the right to stay focused on the screen. Yes, the fact you can scale the motion so that you don't have to turn 45 degrees to be able to see 45 degrees makes it vaguely workable, but that also means that the speed the view moves is faster than normal (which is part of the reason it's hard to keep still while manipulating dials).

I'll acknowledge that the latest version, the TrackIR 5 with the TrackClipPro is the best version they've made yet. Set-up, calibration, and tuning takes some patience, but the result is nice, smooth (albeit too fast) motion. The ability to track planar head motions (moving your head closer to the screen for example, to peer at an instrument or to look left/right and up for traffic) is very nice. Most of the "looks" I need, though, are left and right, and the turn-your-head-right-while-moving-your-eyes-left thing just doesn't work for me.

Instead, I built a 5-monitor wrap-around, so I have a about a 200-degree field of view by turning my head in a natural fashion and I find that experience much more satisfying.

-M.
Mark Hargrove
Longmont, CO
PE: N757SL (Cessna 182T 'Skylane'), N757SM (Cessna 337 'Skymaster'), N757BD (Beech Duke Turbine)
Pieces

Post by Pieces »

While a wrap around setup would certainly provide a better, more realistic experience, it is also (I'm guessing here) an order of magnitude or two more expensive. :) I would love to build that kind of sim, but in the meantime TrackIR does a pretty good job.

Oculus Rift may be a better virtual reality solution in time (that would solve Mark's complaint) but it has it's own set of issues. Once someone solves how to interact with controls that you can't see I think that will be the way to go.
Reece Heinlein, PPL - IR, KMZZ
PilotEdge I-11
Alphabet Challenge
Ryan B

Post by Ryan B »

Track IR 5.... yes get it.

Very useful for VFR work, patterns, maneuvers etc. Decent for IFR and small GA. When I fly big jets I tend to pause camera often (unless I'm doing a visual approach or hand flying then its on)... Or if I'm flying X-Plane I pause camera because their damn clickspots are a nightmare with the mouse operation. I prefer the Track Clip Pro over the headband for the hat. Since I use a headset anyway to talk on PE it easily clips onto my headset.

Downsides: stiff neck after a few years. I actually went to the chiropractor for a few sessions to work out a kink in my neck. I'm pretty sure its from track ir - the way I was holding my upper body to look around, while it felt natural, was apparently a little unnatural. So take breaks as you fly or game and you'll be fine. The little track clip pro is poorly manufactured. Very tiny and easy to break. I broke mine almost by handling it (and I have small hands) the wires pulled out of the TCP, and then it did break when it made a short fall (about 3 ft) from my desk to the carpet. I've fixed it with rubber bands. I think the unit has a 1 yr warranty which covered my first breaking accident (wires) but I had to fix the next one.

I've owned it for about 4-5 years I think... good little unit but you will pause the camera every so often.
PE ID: 29
FAA ATCS
FAA PPL ASEL
Orest Skrypuch

Post by Orest Skrypuch »

Track IR is simply transforming. For what little they charge, it is the best performance enhancement for the bucks, of anything.

Just order it.

* Orest
PP/ASEL/IR, Piper Dakota (PA28-236) C-FCPO
President & CEO, UVA, http://www.united-virtual.com