Tricky taxiing with blurry taxi signs

mats77

Tricky taxiing with blurry taxi signs

Post by mats77 »

Hi X-Plane users,

I find it a bit tricky to navigate the taxiways while taxiing in X-Plane. I have the airport diagram in front of me and I have some freeware airport sceneries installed. The sceneries do contain taxi signs, but they are quite blurry and really hard to read when passing by. I usually have to temporary stop taxiing and zoom in to be able to read them. Not very realistic! :?

How do you do this? Do you have some kind of moving map (on a secondary monitor or perhaps on an iPad) showing your real-time position so that you know where you are? Or perhaps higher quality sceneries with super-sharp taxi signs? :)

Best regards,
Mats

Edit: Fixed heading/subject misspelling.
Last edited by mats77 on Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
PE: Cessna 210 Centurion [N7710M]
Jeff N

Re: Tricky taxiiing with blurry taxi signs

Post by Jeff N »

Mats, there's a great scenery enhancement pack at x-plane.org that addresses this very issue http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?app ... file=19539

A must-have add on, IMO.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

The key is to know where you are before you start taxiing. Rather than looking for specific taxiway signs (because I had to taxi for many years in the sim before they existed), I look for the "2nd left" or the "third right" and take as many queues as I can from what I see around me, including specific contours on the edges of ramps, taxiways, etc. You can also taxi from an external view if you like, I do that to make sure I am where I think I am, and then swap back to cockpit view once established on the desired taxiway.
mats77

Post by mats77 »

Jeff N wrote:Mats, there's a great scenery enhancement pack at x-plane.org that addresses this very issue http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?app ... file=19539

A must-have add on, IMO.
Wow, this one looks really good! Will try it out immediately!

Thanks for the tip! :D
mats77

Post by mats77 »

Keith Smith wrote:The key is to know where you are before you start taxiing. Rather than looking for specific taxiway signs (because I had to taxi for many years in the sim before they existed), I look for the "2nd left" or the "third right" and take as many queues as I can from what I see around me, including specific contours on the edges of ramps, taxiways, etc. You can also taxi from an external view if you like, I do that to make sure I am where I think I am, and then swap back to cockpit view once established on the desired taxiway.
Good advice by counting intersections/turnoffs for keeping track of the current position. Will start doing that.

Haven't thought of temporary switching to an external view to increase the situation awareness -- that is also something I definitely will do if needed.

Thanks! :D