[X-Plane] Adding airport layouts and signage

Daddy O

Re: Adding airport layouts and signage

Post by Daddy O »

So sending it to Robin would get it added to the updates for Xplanes, or posted on Xplane.org?
Shawn Goldsworthy

Post by Shawn Goldsworthy »

Once it goes to Robin, it is then added to the default X-Plane database and will come automatically with the X-Plane updates.
Shawn Goldsworthy
PilotEdge ATCS
Shawn Goldsworthy

Post by Shawn Goldsworthy »

I hope to get a start on a few airports this weekend.
Shawn Goldsworthy
PilotEdge ATCS
Daddy O

Post by Daddy O »

Shawn, which airports are you gonna work on? I am finishing KCIC and KMOD I think was the other4 AFU airport we went to recently on Beta night.

I want to do both the WED file as well as the overlay scenery. I like being able to start at a specific place, sometimes within a hangar or parking lot. Robin can easily pull out the apt.dat file.
Eugene Zaporozhets

Post by Eugene Zaporozhets »

I'll start the PSP layout, looks like it hasn't been taken yet.
Eugene Zaporozhets

KPSP is done. Starting KCNO, KFUL, and KHND.
Keith Smith

Re: [X-Plane] Adding airport layouts and signage

Post by Keith Smith »

Shawn, I'm sorry but I didn't see your airport list until now *face palm*. In the mean time, I added a master list to the first post with status based on people's post so far and made this a sticky thread. Since that's now in place, I'll keep that updated.

The deliverable for each airport is a single apt.dat file with accurate taxiways and signage. The discussion regarding custom taxiway signage is moot, since there is no provision for referencing customized objects in the apt.dat file. The format allows you to specify the placement of the signage. The implementation of the signage is handled by X-Plane.

Adam, if you would like to continue to produce custom scenery for various fields, absolutely feel free to do so, however, my goal is to have standalone apt.dat files that can be submitted to Robin for inclusion in the X-Plane master database. If you'd like to augment THOSE with custom scenery packages that people can optionally download, I'm all for it. A high-quality apt.dat with accurate taxiways, ramps, and signage is useful for EVERYONE who uses X-Plane and can be rolled into the core product (such that it won't require ANY downloading by future users).

Custom scenery with hangars, static aircraft, OpenSceneryX buildings, etc are far more subjective as to their utility and appeal. For that reason, I'm doing my level best to keep them very separate.

Christian, thanks for your offer to help, feel free to post the fields you'd like to "check out from the library" and I'll update the list. That way, we'll avoid any overlap.

I'll track the number of fields completed by each contributor. Authors will be compensated (with either cash or post-launch network credit) based on the number of fields and their relative complexity.
Eugene Zaporozhets

On the subject of taxiway signage, I found a helpful tool that lets you visualize the dry code used in WED into the actual signs, making it easier to spot errors early: FlightGear Sign maker. It's available via a link in this post: http://www.flightgear.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8596. Re: sign sizes, it's possible to make larger taxiway signs in WED by changing the sign attributes to "large taxiway."

I've also ran into a couple of handy links for a scenery beginner if anyone would like to start their first airport here:
Standards for airport marking http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/medi ... idated.pdf
Standards for airport lighting http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/medi ... 40_30e.pdf
Standards for airport signs http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/medi ... 40_18f.pdf
Christian Mears

Post by Christian Mears »

Starting KPOC Brackett Field.
Daddy O

Post by Daddy O »

Way cool.

Kieth, I had been including the apt.dat file in the custom scenery folder. This is what is commonly done on x-plane.org with the scenery packs available.

After I finish KCIC I was going to work on an airport large enough to have commercial terminals. I thought it might be nice to have signage for the terminals so ground can actually direct heavy traffic to a specific gate. I would also add several spawn points so pilots could start from a docked position at their gate, do a pushback, and such.