[Sep 29, Sun] PilotEdge Birthday Bash!

Planning a flight, looking for others to come along?
Pieces

Re: [Sep 29, Sun] PilotEdge Birthday Bash!

Post by Pieces »

JN_ wrote:P.S. How many concurrent users today? Did we break any records?
I glanced at the map near the beginning and saw 30. Don't know if that was the maximum or not.
Reece Heinlein, PPL - IR, KMZZ
PilotEdge I-11
Alphabet Challenge
Jeff N

Post by Jeff N »

I don't know what the peak # was but the map sure looked busy. I grabbed a screenshot after arriving at Long Beach:

I had to race home from dinner an hr away to make it in time for the start and boy am I glad I did - what an AWESOME event. Amazing job by all the controllers handling all that traffic.

Happy 2 years PE, I wish you many more of continued success!
bruce

Post by bruce »

Sorry to have missed this event but on this occasion I just couldn't stay awake. Still I did fly the first leg earlier in the day.

Anyway congratulations on PE's two productive years, here's to many more!

Hope you saved me some virtual cake ;)
sronayne96

Post by sronayne96 »

To Keith and all the gang,
Thanks for a great night, really enjoyed it. I've only been with you for 2 or so months but it feels so much longer.
I wish pilotedge many more successful years and I hope there'll be a few more events like that!

Seán
Seán Ronayne
Twitter: @sronayne96
PPL student at Weston Airport, Ireland. (EIWT)
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

33 pilots was the most I counted, just before I got hammered with planes on my position at which point I stopped monitoring.
33pilots.png
33pilots.png (21.27 KiB) Viewed 7339 times
This event exceeded our expectations, both in terms of controller staffing (7 controllers) and pilot attendance. The quality of the flying was outstanding and we were all very happy with the result.

Thank you to the controllers and pilots who came out for the event, it was very exciting to have a glimpse of what the network is actually capable of delivering when it runs as it was designed to, with lots of pilots and controllers!

We had quite a few (but not all) of the dedicated positions recorded last night: http://www.pilotedge.net/audio/2013-09-29

I've changed the position names to make them a bit more readable.

See you at the next event, we'll try to make it within the next 4-6 weeks! Thanks again to everyone that came out and for the controllers who worked so hard during the event.
canox

Post by canox »

Happy Bday to PE, sorry I couldnt make it my PC chose this weekend to die. I was looking forward to trying to stay alive with a bunch of traffic in the air.

I was watching the map and listening in to the audio for a while. Very cool to see the skies filled and the radios so busy.
Best wishes to Keith and staff on your continued success and growth.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Thanks, sorry to hear that. FWIW, the live audio monitor would've missed a huge portion of the traffic on this event since we had extra positions online that aren't captured by the monitor.

The day will come where the monitoring app dynamically lists the available channels, but it's not there yet.
canox

Post by canox »

I will be sure to make the next one. :)

The audio monitor was still very busy! Everyone sounded professional and cool, I might as well have been tuned in to a real LiveATC tower.

Did anyone save any videos or replays?
djrisc

Post by djrisc »

My best instruction from ATC last night was "Turn left on Kilo, following the 737".

I wish I would have taken a screenshot. :)

Brett
Brett Johnson
Los Angeles, CA.
PE: Skyhawk C172 - N8979T
bruce

Post by bruce »

Reading all the posts I am envious of those who managed to take part but at 0130z I'm afraid it was not for me. :cry: :cry: :cry: