Windows FSX or XPlane Pilots- TakeOwnership FREE!

Robert McDonald

Windows FSX or XPlane Pilots- TakeOwnership FREE!

Post by Robert McDonald »

If you're flying either sim on a WINDOWS box- you should know that some (not all) PC problems with your simulator may be exacerbated by a file PERMISSIONS issue. The typical error message might say "You do not have permission to..." or there MAY NOT be an error message at all, but rather a system failure, crash event, or 'freeze up'.

What causes this is software attempting to access a file without security permission level. A nifty utility is available for free on the web that allows you to right mouse-click and choose an entire folder and all the folders residing INSIDE IT and give yourself unrestricted file permission (access). For example, in FSX, I was getting a frequent CRASH message upon EXITING FSX. After running this utility, the crash on exiting FSX appears to be resolved.

Take a look at this site:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows- ... -in-vista/

You'll download a zip file, two files inside. Double click the first to ADD this functionality to your file flyout menu in Windows when you right click in Windows File Explorer. Double click the Second File to remove this functionality. I REBOOTED my machine after installing this program, then tried it. It ran flawlessly.

In FSX, I right clicked the entire FSX folder (automatically including all of its sub-folders), plus the PMDG folder(s) in AppData (hidden directory). So far, I'm quite satisfied. Free doesn't hurt. Even though my user account is "ADMINISTRATOR" which normally implies unlimited permissions, I believe some other bit of software fouled up my permissions.

Blue Skies!