[Jan 4, Sat 7:15pm PST] KNYL-KSNA (IFR/10,000ft/130 KIAS)

Planning a flight, looking for others to come along?
wmburns

Re: [Jan 4, Sat 7:15pm PST] KNYL-KSNA (IFR/10,000ft/130 KIAS

Post by wmburns »

Cyrus wrote: Second photo is me trying to catch a snap of the Jetstream that just wasn't aware of the Fly-Out, but just happened to be flying it as well. I think he's about 1k high and was zooming past us at around 300kts (to our 150kts). He's right at the top of the bottom screen
I have to admit the JS41 N4106 was me. I came home from work intending only to monitor PE and noted the large gathering at Yuma and decided to "tag" along. Not knowing anything about the suggested speeds, I flew the route at the JS41's max speed of 240 KIAS.

Per the JS41 manual, the slowest recommended clean cruise speed is 170 KIAS. So I would have had trouble speed matching anyway. Not that it really mattered. I had a great time anyway just with the increased traffic.

Thanks for the picture, I've never seen myself from another plane before. Kinda neat. :D

Just a short note to say thanks for the good time. The extra radio traffic was nice. Hearing the other pilots in addition to ATC was nice as well.

It was also cool to be given take off clearance with "no delay" due to arriving traffic.

Signed
More Events
currentadventure

Post by currentadventure »

It was a fun flight. Thought I had screwed up right off the bat when Yuma Dep. called me out for turning left D Bard instead of right, but I listened to the audio afterwards and I did just what I was instructed. I guess the B52 making left traffic under my nose got YD a little tongue tied and told me to turn left when they meant for me to turn right. It all worked out and I didn't get "bombed" by the B52.

Fun flight and thanks to Cyrus for organizing the event!
4WD - out
Brent Stanley
Wilmington, NC (KILM)
Inshore Charter Guide
Private Pilot, ASEL
http://www.currentadventurecharters.com
My PE callsign-N134WD
dc8flightdeck

Post by dc8flightdeck »

My understanding of what happened is the B-52 was advised you were going to depart to the left, but I mistook the advisory as a Tower intruction for the B-52 to turn left. That is why the B-52 made a single left hand circuit.

The radio was certainly busy at the time.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Yes, that's what happened, the instruction to the B52 was along the lines of "traffic departing the parallel will make a left turn out." The B52 turned left, which made life interesting for the Bonanza that just departed on the parallel.

I had 'left' on the brain and instructed the Bonanza to turn left to heading 310 (I was visualizing 'right', though). I would still encourage you, however, to question any ATC instruction where they're turning you more than 180 degs. In cases where we really DO want you to go the long way around, experienced controllers will say something along the lines of, "the long way around," or they'll put special emphasis on the "LEFT" or the "RIGHT" portion of the heading instruction to ackknowledge the fact that it's the long way around, but that's still what they want you to do.

The mistake was mine, however, I wanted to convey what you can do as a pilot to catch those errors when the ATC is less than perfect. The left turn didn't cause a separation problem (you were already above the B52 by then), it just put you further behind the pack, that's all.
currentadventure

dc8flightdeck wrote:The radio was certainly busy at the time.
Yes it was! You definitely have to be on your toes. I also recall receiving a short cut that was accepted by a similar sounding call sign. All in all a fun night!
Brent Stanley
Wilmington, NC (KILM)
Inshore Charter Guide
Private Pilot, ASEL
My PE callsign-N134WD
currentadventure

Keith Smith wrote:Yes, that's what happened, the instruction to the B52 was along the lines of "traffic departing the parallel will make a left turn out." The B52 turned left, which made life interesting for the Bonanza that just departed on the parallel.

I had 'left' on the brain and instructed the Bonanza to turn left to heading 310 (I was visualizing 'right', though). I would still encourage you, however, to question any ATC instruction where they're turning you more than 180 degs. In cases where we really DO want you to go the long way around, experienced controllers will say something along the lines of, "the long way around," or they'll put special emphasis on the "LEFT" or the "RIGHT" portion of the heading instruction to ackknowledge the fact that it's the long way around, but that's still what they want you to do.

The mistake was mine, however, I wanted to convey what you can do as a pilot to catch those errors when the ATC is less than perfect. The left turn didn't cause a separation problem (you were already above the B52 by then), it just put you further behind the pack, that's all.
No worries Keith. I guess because I was departing on the left, it didn't seem that out of the norm, plus it was a little hectic in the cockpit trying to maintain heading, dodging the B52, trying to see in the dark (thank goodness for that little flashlight in X-plane), talk on the radio, etc, etc...plus it was already way past my bedtime when I departed. Needless to say, I slept in this morning.
Brent Stanley
Wilmington, NC (KILM)
Inshore Charter Guide
Private Pilot, ASEL
My PE callsign-N134WD
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Having the Jetstream flying the same route but going at realistic speeds for his aircraft was absolutely fine, it didn't cause a problem. He was at 12k which was higher than all of the fly-out airplanes except for the Corvalis, which was at 12k, too. Once he was getting closer to the Corvalis, I climbed him to 13k to get over the top.

Having a conga line with a couple of aircraft doing distinctly different speeds is not a problem. Where it gets more tricky is if the speeds are about 20kts apart, or are variable over the course of the flight.
dc8flightdeck

Post by dc8flightdeck »

wmburns wrote: Just a short note to say thanks for the good time. The extra radio traffic was nice. Hearing the other pilots in addition to ATC was nice as well.

It was also cool to be given take off clearance with "no delay" due to arriving traffic.

Signed
More Events
We noticed your delayed take-off as we flew the closed circuit and wondered what you planned to do since you were a jet. We got a great view of your takeoff as we made our touch and go :)

It was nice to have some additional jet engines around in addition to our eight :lol:

Justin