Traffic and COM issue - first time setup

blemoine

Traffic and COM issue - first time setup

Post by blemoine »

Hello,

I'm working on getting connected and setup properly before I start using the network. I have connected to several airports and have been unable to see any traffic or drones. When connected to the network, I am using Live View to verify the traffic at the airports. I see the traffic on the map, just not in the sim.

I'm using X-Plane, 10.25, 64bit on Win 8.1
In X-Plane under "Aircraft & Situations", "Other Aircraft", I have changed this number (1-9), but this did not help.

Also:
I have the Carenado C172II with v2.1 patch and cannot get the COM1 to work without NAV1 on at the same time. This issue is not related to PE; I have the issue when "on" or "off" PE.

Thank you for your help!
Keith Smith

Re: Traffic and COM issue - first time setup

Post by Keith Smith »

Make sure sloped runways are off, and check your shadow settings, per this thread: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2481

Not sure what your COM1/NAV1 issue is, can you elaborate or take a screenshot?
blemoine

Post by blemoine »

OK this is why I never post... LOL

As soon as I did, I then I noted this post. I did do a search for traffic and drones but did not see anything.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3685

This also fixed my issue with the drones. Any comments on the COM issue would help...

Thank you!
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

I understand. We've tried our best to put this into the installation instructions, too (I know that form sticky threads are easy to miss, and some people don't read the forum at all). It's listed in the Known Incompatibilities list.

When we first launched PE it wasn't an issue because XP10 hadn't come out, and this is an XP10 specific issue. V9 works ok. Thankfully, the new build solves the problem and you can have shadows cranked as high as you like.

Again, if you can post more detail on the com1 issue, I'll try to help. A screenshot would be good and a more complete description of the issue.
blemoine

Post by blemoine »

Thank you again for the help!

I have the new version for 64bit, just installed it Friday.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2440

On the COM1 issue:

When using the "Carenado C172II with v2.1" I do not get any COM1 without NAV1, why? (this also seems to be the same with the CT210 also.

Looking at the attached image; I have KSNA ATIS on COM1 and El TORO VOR on NAV1, with NAV/COM as is (all down) nothing. When I change switch 1 UP, I get COM1 and NAV1. How do I just get COM1 or NAV1? I'm ok with COM and NAV, if I can just turn NAV off. It's not fun hearing the beeps all the time.

I setup COM2/NAV2 to have the same setup and get the same result. Can not seem to just get COM without NAV.

So I turn COM1 on to ATIS with COM2, NAV1, NAV2 off and I get nothing from COM1. I then turned NAV1 on, turned switch (1) to up and get COM1/NAV1 again. It would seems with COM1 on and switch (1) up, I would just get COM1, but no.

I just tested this on my MAC and get the same result.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-01-14 at 10.50.35 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-01-14 at 10.50.35 PM.png (117.92 KiB) Viewed 6687 times
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

The up/down switches are for receiving. That panel allows you to toggle COM/NAV 1 on and off (but not independently, near as I can tell), and COM/NAV 2 on and off, for RECEIVING in X-Plane. To the left of that, I see a rotary switch for selecting your COM radio for transmitting (I've used a panel like that before as I used to fly a pretty old 172!)

I'd suggest trying the following:
1) leave the up/down switches all off. You probably won't hear any ATIS, and you shouldn't hear any morse code
2) set the TRANSMIT selector to COM1
3) set the com1 freq to 123.45
4) Go to the online map while you're connected to PilotEdge and locate your aircraft in the list on the right, note the frequency for your aircraft on the online map, it should be 123.45
5) set the com2 freq to 126.80 (while parked at SNA)
6) set the TRANSMIT selector to COM2
6) wait at least 10 secs for the online map to update and see if the frequency on the map updates to 126.80

Note the results here. Also, feel free to call for a radio check on 126.80. My guess is you'll be able to talk to ATC just fine on PE.

Lastly, the Mac client doesn't support COM2 at the moment.
blemoine

Post by blemoine »

Following you instructions, this is the result. Did not think this was going to be so complicated. (LOL)

The radio freq. are updated on PE as expected. The only issue is, I do not hear anything.

Example: Speaker switches all set to down
XMTR-SEL set to 1, COM1 (top) set to 126.00 / NAV1 set to 115.70 = nothing (If I turn speaker switch 1 up, I get COM1 and NAV1)
XMTR-SEL set to 2, COM2 (bottom) set to 126.00 / NAV2 set to 118.05 = nothing ( if I turn speaker switch 2 up, I just get COM2)

I get the same result if I change the XMTR-SEL to 1 or 2. Its like it is not doing anything.

I had traffic at the location the time I tested. I set my COM1 to be on the same freq. but never did hear anything.

Apple:
My MAC is running 64bit, looks like no PE client for 64bit yet.
Peter Grey

Post by Peter Grey »

Hello,

If you were testing today as N26913 I did hear all of your radio checks.
Peter Grey
PilotEdge Director of Quality Assurance and Operations
peter@pilotedge.net
blemoine

Post by blemoine »

I was N743XL and nothing. I was at KSNA.
Peter Grey

Post by Peter Grey »

Ahh yes, I never heard a word from you.
Peter Grey
PilotEdge Director of Quality Assurance and Operations
peter@pilotedge.net