X-Plane Crashing

sronayne96

X-Plane Crashing

Post by sronayne96 »

Just after finding a solution (somewhat) to my PE disconnect problem, X-Plane itself has decided to give me grief. It is now constantly crashing without warning be it in flight, or on start up without ever having loaded an aircraft. I have noticed in the log.txt that some of the scenery I have is apparently causing some problems. However I have tried uninstalling all of these scenery packs and loaded up X-Plane but still crashes. I have also deleted and completely re-installed X-Plane to no avail. I personally don't have the ability or X-Plane experience to read too much further into the log.txt file. I have attached that file in MS word format below. I'm hoping some of you "X-Plane heads" will be able to help me out.
log.docx
(20.71 KiB) Downloaded 267 times

Thanks,

Seán
Seán Ronayne
Twitter: @sronayne96
PPL student at Weston Airport, Ireland. (EIWT)
Keith Smith

Re: X-Plane Crashing

Post by Keith Smith »

Take out all plugins, remove all custom scenery, then try it. Then, add them back in one at a time and see how you do.

Right now, the last line before crash in the logfile is: 0:00:22.652 I/SCN: DSF load time: 5576116 for file Custom Scenery/zzz_hd_global_scenery2/Earth nav data/+30-120/+33-117.dsf (835539 tris)

So, the thing in zzz_hd_global_scenery2 might be related.
sronayne96

Post by sronayne96 »

Ok thanks Keith. Was afraid you might say something along those lines. How I love long troubleshooting processes! :D
Seán Ronayne
sronayne96

Post by sronayne96 »

I removed the file you suggested above and booted X-Plane up a number of times in different aircraft/places. It did not crash at all so I think maybe I've found the culprit thanks to you. However just as things seemed to be going well, my computer decided to crash and restart itself. Whether or not this had anything to do with X-Plane or not I'm not sure. The seemingly offending files happen to be the some of the scenery meshes from alpilotx which I think look great. I've no idea what the problem, if any there is with them and I wonder has anyone else had similar problems with these meshes.

Anyway X-Plane seems to be running smoothly without them at the moment so we'll wait and see.

Thanks for the help.
Seán Ronayne
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

If your computer is crashing on you, I would suspect overheating or bad ram. X-Plane pushes the system very hard (100% of one core, 100% of the time, and sometimes works other cores as well). Between that and the video card load, it can cause systems which are normally quite stable to overheat.
sronayne96

Post by sronayne96 »

I would hope that is not the case as this is a brand new computer but I suppose X-Plane can push any system to the limit. So I presume if it crashes again (the pc) I should just try turning down rendering options in X-plane or something? It did crash when X-plane was only loading the start up menu and not when X-plane had loaded.
Seán Ronayne
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

If it's crashing during the custom scenery loading, that's likely to be an issue with the scenery itself. If so, it would crash at the same spot each time (when you check the log file). If it's related to the ram, it would crash at more random times. If it's based on CPU/heat, then reducing rendering options won't change much, it still pushes the CPU to 100% by maximizing the frame rate. I supposed you could lock the frame rate to a lower limit (haven't ever tried that).

You might want to try some system stress tests (Prime95 is a good one). If it crashes during the stress test, you know it has nothing to do with xplane.
sronayne96

Post by sronayne96 »

The pc crashing seems to be random. I've had the PC for almost 4 weeks now and I think it has crashed 3 times (it has restarted itself immediately each time). I'll be sure to give the stress test a go just to make sure but I'm fairly sure it's X-plane. I'll certainly look into it.
Seán Ronayne
sronayne96

Post by sronayne96 »

I had another blue screen crash and I was not running X-plane at all. I've gotten onto the company I bought it from and they've said it looks like it may be faulty RAM so they've instructed me to run some kind of memory test.
Seán Ronayne
sronayne96

Post by sronayne96 »

Well I'm mid-flight this evening and the computer crashes again. I've got onto the company I purchased it from and they said they'll send me new RAM so I guess I'll just have to wait before I do any more flying.... :(
Seán Ronayne