FSX keyboard controls on X-plane. Will it work?

Lorenh

FSX keyboard controls on X-plane. Will it work?

Post by Lorenh »

I'm thinking of switching sims from Microsoft FSX to X-plane because X-plane will couple to AOPA's FlyQ software. I really hate the idea of learning a new set of keyboard shortcuts and controls, plus I only fly with the keyboard, no joystick, pedals, etc. (My main interest is in ATC communications and navigating in an IFR environment, not trying to replicate actual flight inputs.)

Is it possible to assign the keyboard commands used in FSX to X-plane? I know that some cockpit and systems commands can be assigned, but I'm thinking of basic control commands such as bank right, bank left, climb, descend, trim up, trim down, throttle, etc. I use the keypad for most of these with FSX.

I've read some of the X-plane 10 Manual, but from what I can tell, the actual flying has to be done with the mouse and not keys. Can anyone advise me? Thanks.
Loren Hutchinson
Lee's Summit, MO (KLXT)
Private SEL IFR
N4336D
Keith Smith

Re: FSX keyboard controls on X-plane. Will it work?

Post by Keith Smith »

left, right up and down can't be commanded via keyboard, that has to be done via mouse (if using mouse as yoke) or joystick. Everything else can mapped to any key you want.

F1/F2 control the throttle already. The 3 axis trim can be manipulated via keyboard.
Lorenh

Post by Lorenh »

Thanks Keith. I think I'll stick with FSX until Santa brings me a yoke.
Loren Hutchinson
Lee's Summit, MO (KLXT)
Private SEL IFR
N4336D
wmburns

Post by wmburns »

Why not use a joy stick? The one I use all the time was less than $25. I bought it locally from Frys.

I'm sure if you shop online a good joy stick could be found for even less.

For my own part, I can't image being able to fly using only a mouse and keyboard. It makes my fingers hurt just thinking about it. In the past when I tried, it was "all over the place".

Use the Santa card for the rudder pedals instead. ;)
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

FWIW, I fly with a $19.95 Saitek AV8R-01. It's portable (I take it with me on most trips for demo purposes) and has a much lower footprint than a full yoke. During flight, I can move it to the side, engage the AP and use thek keyboard to tend to emails or hit the web as needed. When I had a full yoke, it was more of a pain to reach the keyboard.
Lorenh

Post by Lorenh »

I found a regional version of x-plane for just $30. I'll see how the learning curve feels. I've never purchased a yoke because of space restrictions, but may have to find a way to work it out. I can't imagine trying to switch mouse functions while flying in order to tune radios, etc. The ability to sync the moving map of my FlyQ app with x-plane is just too good to pass up. X-plane is supposed to arrive Monday.
Loren Hutchinson
Lee's Summit, MO (KLXT)
Private SEL IFR
N4336D
Lorenh

Post by Lorenh »

No go on X-plane. My computer won't handle it. The best frame rates I could get was 25-27/sec, and that was with EVERYTHING minimized. Add in textures and it dropped down into the teens. It was a little better at night. Guess I'll have to wait until I get a faster computer.

My iPad did receive the signals from X-plane and displayed my flight path on FlyQ.
Loren Hutchinson
Lee's Summit, MO (KLXT)
Private SEL IFR
N4336D
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Lorenh wrote:No go on X-plane. My computer won't handle it. The best frame rates I could get was 25-27/sec, and that was with EVERYTHING minimized. Add in textures and it dropped down into the teens. It was a little better at night. Guess I'll have to wait until I get a faster computer.

My iPad did receive the signals from X-plane and displayed my flight path on FlyQ.
Loren, I'm surprised you didn't try the demo first, it's free, and is designed to allow you to qualify your hardware before making a purchase.
Lorenh

Post by Lorenh »

I tried to download the demo, but encountered the downward spiraling download we used to see years ago. The connection would start out strong, but over about 10 minutes would drop down to around 24kb/sec. When the estimated time was 10 hours, I passed<G>. The regional version was only $30, so no harm. It will still be good when I upgrade in the future.

I may play around with it some more. I get 50-70fps with FSX, and I'm using MegaScenery for SoCal.

I don't understand why such a difference between programs. I have a 2.33Ghz Dual Processor CPU with 8Gb of RAM running on Windows 7 64bit Pro. My video card is an Nvidia Quadro FX-3500 with 512Mb of onboard RAM, but X-plane pokes along at 20-30 fps.
Loren Hutchinson
Lee's Summit, MO (KLXT)
Private SEL IFR
N4336D
Lorenh

Post by Lorenh »

Just tried X-plane again and could muster 30-35fps with everything minimized. Add in some textures and objects (roads, airport detail, etc.) and it dropped down into the 20's. Add in clouds and the 3-D cockpit and it dropped down to 9fps. Guess I'll just have to keep using FSX for now.
Loren Hutchinson
Lee's Summit, MO (KLXT)
Private SEL IFR
N4336D