scope from from SNA fly-in

Pictures or videos taken while flying on PilotEdge
Mark Hargrove

Re: scope from from SNA fly-in

Post by Mark Hargrove »

Very cool Keith -- thanks for posting the link to your twitch.tv. I've been able to watch Kevin as well, but not with as much traffic.

I pretty much died over your off-frequency comment about the guy who called for advisories and didn't know where he was when you asked. "Really? You don't have even the slightest idea where you are?" ROTFL.

I also understand better why you want pilot responses to be quick and brief. Every extra word is taking a second or so away from you that you don't have to spare when it gets crazy.

-M.
Mark Hargrove
Longmont, CO
PE: N757SL (Cessna 182T 'Skylane'), N757SM (Cessna 337 'Skymaster'), N757BD (Beech Duke Turbine)
currentadventure

Post by currentadventure »

Mark Hargrove wrote:I pretty much died over your off-frequency comment about the guy who called for advisories and didn't know where he was when you asked. "Really? You don't have even the slightest idea where you are?" ROTFL.
-M.
+1
Brent Stanley
Wilmington, NC (KILM)
Inshore Charter Guide
Private Pilot, ASEL
http://www.currentadventurecharters.com
My PE callsign-N134WD
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Updated post to include the YT video (since twitch allows you to xfer the video to YT, yay!)

As you guys have observed, once it's busy, there is a rhythm on the frequency, and if you're out of rhythm, you're going to restrict the number of planes that can be worked at a time).

Also, listening closely is never a bad idea...at one point, one plane was having a transponder issue out of Burbank. I reminded him to fix it, and then immediately said, "who else was calling?" because there was another guy that I know was trying to call at about the same time (he was a guy out of PSP). The guy at burbank immediately responded with more commentary regarding his transponder...blocking the PSP guy again. The first block was unavoidable, the second one was avoidable.

I know that pilots aren't allocating 100% of their brain capacity to perfect radio comms...you gotta fly the plane, too. However, when it's busy, it really pays to listen closely.

Real world controllers get grumpy on a daily basis when the flow is disrupted by someone who isn't on the same page. It's all a learning experience.

The text coordination was a lot of work there, too, but doing it via voice would've had issues, too. There is a long term plan for some new tech to optimize the release process for high traffic situations.

It started with rolling boundary releases (meaning the tower guy could fire at will, then tell me after the fact). That was becoming too much, though (I couldn't process who was coming next, so when they called, it was a surprise and I had no context), so I went back to actual IFR releases (such as the one for GTH66...the timestamps on the chat log indicated that tower waiting about 90 secs before he heard back from me, but I don't know if that translated into a delay for the pilot, it depends on how early the tower called for the release). Then when it calms down a little bit, back to rolling boundary.

Glad you guys enjoyed it. I enjoyed the workout.