XP10 Stock Baron 58

mdolislager

XP10 Stock Baron 58

Post by mdolislager »

I've been flying the stock Baron more recently and really enjoying it (good FPS aircraft for a macbook with low-ish performance). Anyways, has anyone run into an issue with the cowl flaps on this plane? No click-able area on the cowl levers or response when assigning a keyboard button to them. I read on a different forum to turn auto-cowl flaps off in plane maker, but when I checked it was already unchecked. I feel like when I used this plane back in the day it had working cowl flaps.

Also, anyone getting much change in EGT when leaning the mixture in cruise? I get nothing, I just lean until roughness and enrichen after that.

Any help appreciated.
tshuff

Re: XP10 Stock Baron 58

Post by tshuff »

I can tell you the EGT gauge is not modeled so you have to rely on the ole "lean it til it dies then quickly give it some gas" trick.

I suspect the cowl flaps aren't modeled either, but don't know for certain.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

lost my post on my phone... you might be able to open the cowl flaps via a keyboard shortcut in xplane.

you can pull up the egt through the data input and output if you like. Ty's method works great, too.
mdolislager

Post by mdolislager »

Thanks guys. I haven't had any luck assigning a keyboard shortcut for the cowl flaps. Looks like they just aren't modeled. I'll just have to fly with slightly less realism.
wmburns

Re: XP10 Stock Baron 58; performance data?

Post by wmburns »

Not sure if it's best to tack onto this thread or start a new. I have recently started flying the XP10 Stock Baron 58 more and still getting "used to" the differences between the planes and Sim.

One of the things that's holding me back is a lack of specific performance data for the XP BE58. For example what are the:

V2 (Takeoff safety speed. The speed at which the aircraft may safely become airborne with one engine inoperative) Is this the red line on the air speed indicator?
Vx (best angle of climb)
Vy (best rate of climb) and expected rate of climb?
Vyse (best rate of climb single engine) Is this the blue line on the air speed indicator?
Vref (Landing reference speed)
Vs (reference stall speed)

Recommended cruise power settings and speeds? Recommended flaps settings?

I have attempted to look this up online but I'm confused about exactly WHICH version of the Baron 58 is modeled on X-plane. Does anybody have any suggestions where I should start looking? Any other performance numbers that should be committed to memory?

Thanks for any input.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

The stall speed in the landing configuration will be the bottom of the white arc on the ASI.

For cruise numbers, since it's not turbo charged, I'd fly it like any other normally-aspirated piston...get it to 8000ft, keep the throttle wide open and run at 50 ROP for best power, or 50 LOP for better economy. You'd only worry about throttling back if you're flying relatively low, in which case I'd shoot for 24"-25" and 2500rpm.

I fly the approaches at 120+, then blue line once visual, keep it at blue line until landing assured.

For single engine, I would not bother. The model is excessively draggy, you're going to seriously struggle to sustain flight with single engine. The best we saw (in a room with 50,000+ hours of experience combined among 4 people) was around 100-125fpm by pulling the mixture back to best power and pulling the CG back to the aft limit to reduce trim drag.
mdolislager

Post by mdolislager »

This is for the more modern G58 from the Beechcraft website but some stuff still applies and is helpful to get you in the right direction.

I worked some magic, so I'll have to explain. Basically, I searched google and found this:
http://www.beechcraft.com/customer_supp ... on%204.pdf

The 204 at the end before .pdf is for Section 4 like in a POH. So that link is for the Normal procedures.

If you paste the link into your browser and then change the 204 to 205, you get the Section 5 Performance Section from the POH. Change 204 to 203 and you get the Emergency Procedures Section. so on and so forth.

I was pleasantly surprised I got it to work that way! Let me know if that works for you. I can always PM you the saved docs I have if you need.
Hope it helps.
Michael Smith

Post by Michael Smith »

mdolislager wrote:This is for the more modern G58 from the Beechcraft website but some stuff still applies and is helpful to get you in the right direction.

I worked some magic, so I'll have to explain. Basically, I searched google and found this:
http://www.beechcraft.com/customer_supp ... on%204.pdf

The 204 at the end before .pdf is for Section 4 like in a POH. So that link is for the Normal procedures.

If you paste the link into your browser and then change the 204 to 205, you get the Section 5 Performance Section from the POH. Change 204 to 203 and you get the Emergency Procedures Section. so on and so forth.

I was pleasantly surprised I got it to work that way! Let me know if that works for you. I can always PM you the saved docs I have if you need.
Hope it helps.
Absolutely thrilled to find this! Thanks!!
Flows Prevent Collisions - Good Landings Easy