Is Oakland service just for SFO?

RobbSpeed

Is Oakland service just for SFO?

Post by RobbSpeed »

Hey guys,

Sorry if this has been asked before.

Two examples based on the question.

If I'm coming from Seattle ARTCC going to SoCal, should I make contact at the SEA/OAK border or wait until the LAX border.

How about if I'm departing OAK airport going to SoCal?

Also, I saw an old post where complete OAK ARTCC coverage is given on the weekends. Is that still in effect?

Thanks,
Rob
Keith Smith

Re: Is Oakland service just for SFO?

Post by Keith Smith »

The service in norcal is purely designed for service into and out of SFO. Anything other than that might yield an inconsistent result. For the flight from SEA, you can try Oakland Center on 133.70 abeam SFO.

For the flight from Oakland...we don't really have a clean way of handling that. Your best bet would be Norcal Departure 135.10 shortly after takeoff. I would say the same as the SEA flight, contacting Oakland Center on 133.70 in the flight levels, but unfortunately, you're conflicting with the SFO departures because they're so close (this is what I mean about it being awkward and not designed for general use other than SFO itself), so it's best to be in touch with Norcal after wheels up.

That said, ATC is not familar with OAK SIDs, so they might have to look it up to see what the route actually looks like.

I would ask that you consider departing SFO instead of OAK. For the SEA flight, no problem, call OAK CTR abeam SFO and you'll get the same service a SFO departure would've received.
RobbSpeed

Post by RobbSpeed »

Thanks very much for the reply, Keith. Much appreciated.

Cheers,
Rob
gavink42

Post by gavink42 »

Keith,

How about creating a PE LOA to cover flights arriving into the PE coverage area from several common vectors.

That would eliminate most of the issues you might face for SFO, and would give everyone an appropriate way to enter the coverage area.

- Gavin
- PP ASEL, instrument, complex, high performance
- Member AOPA, EAA, IMC Club, Piper Owner Society
- Cherokee 180C owner
lwilliams

Post by lwilliams »

gavink42 wrote:Keith,

How about creating a PE LOA to cover flights arriving into the PE coverage area from several common vectors.

That would eliminate most of the issues you might face for SFO, and would give everyone an appropriate way to enter the coverage area.

- Gavin
Not a bad idea.......

Another one is to keep this current trend going and have the increase in traffic to justify full coverage.

Let's get flying online folks!!
Lee Williams