New Computer Build

kullery

Re: New Computer Build

Post by kullery »

Thanks for the suggestions and input. I edited the original post with the final configuration (I did add a 2nd SSD, at that price why not).

I made a trip to a local Micro Center Store. I had never been in one of their stores before. I was VERY impressed. Extremely knowledgeable assistance, very competitive prices (including some unadvertised deals on clearance and remanufactured parts). Great return/exchange policy (I bought a factory refurbished keyboard that had to be replaced). The only negative was having to pay sales tax but that was well worth it. If you have one of these stores near you, I highly recommend them.

Most of the physical build is complete and starting to get software loaded this week. Had a few issues with the motherboard (BIOS clock frozen, no WI FI configuration option) but they were overcome with a BIOS update and a few driver updates. The radiator and fans did not fit in the case without hitting the motherboard so I modified the case a bit to allow the radiator to be mounted on the outside. Anyone not willing to make that modification should consider a slightly larger case or a smaller cooler.

Hope to be back on line soon.
Ken Ullery - PPL-SEL, 1G5
DeRiet

Post by DeRiet »

Hi all, I just bought the same GPU (GTX780 ti) and CPU (i7-4770K) but with only 8GB. Running Win 8.1 and x-plane.

I would like to learn from other people's X-plane graphic settings. Which settings do you feel work best with this rig?

thanks,
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

http://imgur.com/EKWqqnN

I'm on pretty much the same set-up. I could probably run much higher settings, but I love flying aircraft like the DreamFoil 407 and the FlyJSim 732. I find even with an aircraft with high fidelity textures and at night with lots of autogen AND streaming on twitch, these settings will always keep me above 28 frames per second. Your mileage may vary as always.