New Computer Build

kullery

New Computer Build

Post by kullery »

I would appreciate some help from any X-Plane hardware gurus. My existing laptop just can't handle running x-plane 10 at anything close to acceptable frame rates so it is time to build a new system so that I can resume activity on PE.

I'm pretty comfortable with the build process, however I don't stay up to date on the latest and greatest components. My goal is a system that can support x-plane 10 with reasonably high settings and acceptable frame rates (along the lines of what I am see in the excellent twitch broadcasts from ksmith_pe, Helopilot7, catstrator, etc.). I'm NOT looking to create a multi-display simulator with various additional control panels, I just want to run X-plane on a single display (with a second monitor for charts, etc.). I'd like something that could eventually support some video work, twitch broadcasts, shared cockpit and a bit of custom scenery.

After some research, here is the parts list I have come up with but I'd love to hear suggestions before I place any orders. Any areas where the $ would be better spent on something else?

Also appreciate thoughts on WIN7 Ultimate (which I am currently leaning toward) vs. going to WIN8

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 73.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus Z87-Pro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital 3TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB Superclocked Video Card
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 850W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer
Monitor: Samsung S24D300HL 60Hz 23.6" Monitor
Case Fan: Cougar Vortex 60.4 CFM 120mm Fan
Keyboard: Logitech MK550 Wireless Ergonomic Keyboard w/Laser Mouse
Speakers: Logitech Z313 25W 2.1ch Speakers
Other: Silicon Power Xpower 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory

PCPartPicker part list

EDIT (6/11/2014): Updated to reflect actual purchase
Last edited by kullery on Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ken Ullery - PPL-SEL, 1G5
Pieces

Re: New Computer Build

Post by Pieces »

I didn't look too closely but everything there looks great except the power supply. The one you have selected isn't necessarily a bad one, but that is one component that people often overlook when building. If the PSU has a problem, it can easily blow up your other very nice expensive components. Don't skimp on the PSU.
Reece Heinlein, PPL - IR, KMZZ
PilotEdge I-11
Alphabet Challenge
Kim Ellis

Post by Kim Ellis »

This is great. This is exactly where I could be in a month or so. Please keep your list updated along with the links, you are providing a valuable service to those coming after you.
kullery

Post by kullery »

Thanks Reece, great point on the power supply. I was only looking at wattage and hadn't considered some of the other aspects. I did some more reading and I like idea of the "fully modular" wiring systems and the higher efficiency (less heat generated) with a "higher end" power supply.

Kim - when you start your shopping, make use of the pcpartpicker.com website. I am finding it to be very helpful to locate good prices and it was a big help to insure parts compatibility.
wmburns

Post by wmburns »

Just wondering WHY the Win7 Ultimate verses Win7 Home Premium 64B? IE, what are the needed features are in the Ultimate edition that are not in Home Premium? If the answer is none, why pay the difference in cost?

Question. Are you a current user of Win8? If not, there's a high possibility that you will HATE Win8. Me personally if given a choice, Win7 <presses easy button>.

But... There are many positive reports of being able to get things working on Win8. IMO if buying a PC that came with Win8, it should work just fine.

However during my testing I ran head long into the "ui automation" bug. There are fixes posted online and in this forum.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4061

Are you an X-plane or FSX user? It can make a difference in WHICH CPU is more cost effective. If an FSX user, the case could be made that a faster i5 can outperform a slower i7. This is because FSX is mainly restricted to a single core.

I too am interested in how the system works for you. My system is not as strong but I'm considering upgrades. I'm especially interested to hear how the GTX 780 card works for you.

I personally am a HUGE fan of SSD disk. My experience has been completely positive using SSD for JUST the OS disk. In fact, I have one system with a 60GB SSD for the OS and everything else is on a HDD. Very fast boot times. Much cheaper than buying enough SSD to run everything on SSD. Or offers a way to save a few $$ by getting a smaller SSD.

Good luck.
Last edited by wmburns on Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

I run the OS on one SSD and the sim from another SSD. I have a 3TB regular hard drive for video editing. Have found that to be a decent setup.
kullery

Post by kullery »

wmburns wrote:Just wondering WHY the Win7 Ultimate verses Win7 Home Premium 64B? IE, what are the needed features are in the Ultimate edition that are not in Home Premium? If the answer is none, why pay the difference in cost?

Question. Are you a current user of Win8? If not, there's a high possibility that you will HATE Win8.
Leaning toward Win7 Ultimate because I already have a license for it. I have no experience with Win8 and I would only consider it if someone presented a compelling reason to make a change......so far I don't see one.
wmburns wrote: Are you an X-plane or FSX user? It can make a difference in WHICH CPU is more cost effective.

X-Plane only -
Keith Smith wrote:I run the OS on one SSD and the sim from another SSD. I have a 3TB regular hard drive for video editing. Have found that to be a decent setup.
I considered 2 SSD's (1 each for OS and SIM). I recalled that you did that when you built your computer but I just couldn't imagine the OS and SIM approaching 240GB. The nice thing about x-plane is that if SSD capacity becomes an issue, it's easy to add a second SSD and transfer x-plane over to it.
Kim Ellis

Post by Kim Ellis »

kullery wrote:Kim - when you start your shopping, make use of the pcpartpicker.com website. I am finding it to be very helpful to locate good prices and it was a big help to insure parts compatibility.
Wow, what a kewl site, I could spend all day in there planning and dreaming :)
tshuff

Post by tshuff »

The best reason I can give to update to Windows 8 is that all around it's just much snappier. It starts quicker, it does "things" quicker, it's more responsive. That being said, it's definitely a tough sell at a full price upgrade. I'm happy with my decision to upgrade, but don't consider a necessity by any means.
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

Hardware wise, this is almost the exact same rig I'm running. Let me know if you want me to run any benchmarks or whatever for you. Qualitatively, it runs X-plane brilliantly. Check out the approach here. and check out all the autogen traffic and vector data, lights etc.