Steam X-Plane crashing with PE plugin

noisy

Steam X-Plane crashing with PE plugin

Post by noisy »

Hi guys,
i'm running X-Plane 10.25 steam version on OSX, decided to try pilot edge network, but after i installed plugin X-Plane hangs on start.

Here's the log.txt extract regarding plugin start:

Code: Select all

XSB WARNING: we failed to find XSB's custom lighting texture at Resources/plugins/PilotEdge/VSPro Resources/lights.png.
Failed: /Users/rromanchuk/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/X-Plane 10/Resources/plugins/PilotEdge/mac.xpl. (The plugin refused to start by returning 0 from XPluginStart.)

--=={This application has crashed!}==--
Keith Smith

Re: Steam X-Plane crashing with PE plugin

Post by Keith Smith »

my guess is that it's starting with a working directory of something other than the X-Plane root directory. Can you start it by running xplane from that folder? I'm not that familiar with Steam and how it launches the apps. The current working directory has to be right for our xplane plugin to load, as you can see.
noisy

Post by noisy »

Hi Keith, sounds like a reason.
I can't start X-Plane without steam, since this version is require launching via steam client, otherwise you get error message like "Steam_API_Init() failed".

Tried to adjust helloWord sample plugin for X-Plane to dump current folder.
Have no idea how to compile it to 64 bit, but in 32 bit mode it shows that current folder is

/Users/rromanchuk/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/X-Plane 10
I've used for getting current folder following snippet:

char cwd[1024];
getcwd(cwd, sizeof(cwd))
If i can help you somehow troubleshoot this problem - let me know.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

it could be that the path is just too long for the current memory structure that's used to hold the path.

I will look into this when I return from this trip in a few days.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

noisy, can you post your PilotEdge_out.txt file from the xplane root directory? It should contain some info about the paths that it's constructing on the Mac.
noisy

Post by noisy »

Here it is

Starting up: PilotEdge client, V1.0.9
initVoice with device NULL, returned 0
initial CSL dir = Macintosh HD:Users:rromanchuk:Library:Application Support:Steam:SteamApps:common:X-Plane 10:Resources:plugins:PilotEdge:VSPro Resources:CSL
CSL dir = /Users/rromanchuk/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/X-Plane 10/Resources/plugins/PilotEdge/VSPro Resources/CSL
PilotEdge: fail during multiplayer init: There were problems initializing libXPMP.  Please examine X-Plane's error.out file for detailed information.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Thank you, it's not a buffer overflow issue. Can you send the log.txt? That should contain the info about the file it failed to open.

Some of the configuration files are referenced via a relative path, but if you're telling me the current working directory is actually set to the X-Plane 10 folder, then it shouldn't be having trouble with that. Let's see what the log.txt says.
noisy

Post by noisy »

Keith Smith wrote:Thank you, it's not a buffer overflow issue. Can you send the log.txt? That should contain the info about the file it failed to open.

Some of the configuration files are referenced via a relative path, but if you're telling me the current working directory is actually set to the X-Plane 10 folder, then it shouldn't be having trouble with that. Let's see what the log.txt says.
Here it is
Attachments
Log.txt.zip
X-Plane log
(2.49 KiB) Downloaded 252 times
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

I apologize, you did include that in your very first post :)

So, it's not finding the lights.png file. That's either because the file isn't in the tree at all, or the working directory isn't the X-Plane root. You have verified the CWD is the xplane root, so that really just leaves the possibility that the file structure isn't right. Could you check to see if the lights.png file is in the VSPro Resources folder, and verify that the VSPro Resources folder is in the right place, based on the paths in the log file?
noisy

Post by noisy »

Looks like everything is in proper place:

MBP:X-Plane 10 rromanchuk$ pwd
/Users/rromanchuk/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/X-Plane 10
MBP:X-Plane 10 rromanchuk$ ls -l "Resources/plugins/PilotEdge/VSPro Resources/lights.png"
-rwxr-xr-x@ 1 rromanchuk  906175167  59092 25 Nov  2012 Resources/plugins/PilotEdge/VSPro Resources/lights.png