OS X Yosemite

mikealphacharlie

Re: OS X Yosemite

Post by mikealphacharlie »

There has been a lengthy discussion on the topic of X-Plane performance being adversely affected by Yosemite over on the X-Plane.org forum. Here's the link:
http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?showtopic=80602

Steve
flyingdrill

Post by flyingdrill »

Yes Steve, I had read most (and now all) of that thread. Also, I've been looking through the general Yosemite problems pages. I'd already done permission repairs, resetting the SMC, etc. I could do the PRAM, but my fans, etc. are all running normally, so I doubt it's worth bothering.

Today, I flew a test VFR flight with PE, with the settings I put in last night. I used the Carenado Seneca, and had an excellent frame rate - including with clouds about, which can drag things down. Also, PE worked perfectly, and I was on for about 45 minutes. One thing I didn't do was have Firefox running with Skyvector. I used my iPad instead.

Next step is to try and up the rendering a notch :-)
currentadventure

Post by currentadventure »

Hmmm.....now I'm kind of glad I've been too busy to update. Think I'll hold off for a while longer
Brent Stanley
Wilmington, NC (KILM)
Inshore Charter Guide
Private Pilot, ASEL
http://www.currentadventurecharters.com
My PE callsign-N134WD
chevyrules

Post by chevyrules »

I had X-Plane crash while on PE under 10.31r2. I went back down to 10.30 and not a crash since.....
chevyrules

Post by chevyrules »

A bit of an update from my last post....

10.30 did crash on me while on PE. I will need to do some more testing, but I went to 10.31r3, got it to crash twice. So went back down to 10.30.

But another interesting aspect that I will need to test out further is the relationship of streaming and being on PE..... All crashes have been happening when I have been streaming. I crashed twice yesterday trying to do KSFO to KLAS while on stream. I tried again off stream, success and even did KLAS to KSAN and KSAN back to KSFO with no problems. Could OBS not be playing nice?
chevyrules

Post by chevyrules »

Here is something interesting from Laminar. Saying Yosemite broke old API's X-Plane was using. Saying they will be fixed in 10.35( which hopefully means 10.35 will be out soon if they will not be doing a 10.32 just to fix the API issue). Could this be the cause of things?

http://www.x-plane.com/?article=x-plane ... 0-yosemite

The only thing I can contribute though is I have had no issues of X-Plane crashing when off of PE. Every single time X-Plane has crashed under Yosemite has been due to being connected to PilotEdge.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

I've received several reports that it's crashing for Yosemite users in areas where this is other traffic. I'll need to get upgrade my machine to Yosemite (it's on a much older version of MacOS) and try to find out what's going on.

Let's see if 10.35 is more stable, too.
tngarner

Post by tngarner »

Following Keith's advice in another post I made my call sign shorter Nxxxxx to Nxxxx and have not had an issue since. I may just be lucky but going to stick with it for now since it is working.
Marietta, GA (KRYY)
PPL-ASEL
flyingdrill

Post by flyingdrill »

Have look in the .org forums in the General X-Plane section. There are two Yosemite threads to which I have contributed, as many of our XP friends have experienced serious problems of stuttering and wildly varying frame rates under 10.10.1 - particularly on iMacs.

I discovered that by putting the iMac to sleep (and waiting till it really had "died"), and then waking it up again, X-Plane performed faster than it had ever done in Mavericks.

Now, I have to test it with PE, which I have not yet done.