FSX: Steam Edition compatibility

Keith Smith

Re: FSX: Steam Edition compatibility

Post by Keith Smith »

I'm not sure what would cause it to not be able to make the SimConnect connection to the sim. I would simply try restarting the PE client, then trying again. After that, I"d uninstall all the simconnect versions, reinstall the SP1 simconnect then start the sim and try again.
Rush

Post by Rush »

tried that one to no avail.

Were you able to get it working on your machine?
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Yes, fresh install working well on my machine.
Rush

Post by Rush »

Been researching the Simconnect error and other people have had it for different add ons. At this point I'm almost willing to reinstall Windows to get it working.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

If you have stock FSX, why use the steam version?
ralphlove

Post by ralphlove »

Keith,

I did what you suggested and got hung up when connecting. The connection window wanted an aircraft from the aircraft list?

Merry Xmas,

Ralph Love
n122vu

Post by n122vu »

Have had no success connecting to the sim so far myself in Steam Edition.

I downloaded the latest version (previously was running v 0.9) and am trying to install (uninstalled previous version and rebooted prior to attempting). I am seeing the following error in my event log, I believe installation is getting to around 96% complete before failing:

- System

- Provider

[ Name] Application Error

- EventID 1000

[ Qualifiers] 0

Level 2

Task 100

Keywords 0x80000000000000

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2014-12-26T00:04:03.000000000Z

EventRecordID 59309

Channel Application

Computer FIREFLY

Security

- EventData

pesetup.exe
53a0a36b
USER32.dll
4ce7ba59
c0000005
0001d2da
01d0209f6e0ceca4
D:\FSX Downloads\pesetup.exe
C:\Windows\syswow64\USER32.dll
b31b2dd2-8c92-11e4-9e11-e840f2d39cad

No change when running the setup as Administrator. I did change the setup path in the registry to point to my Steam\SteamApps\common\FSX folder, and the installer does seem to be hitting that directory as I watch the progress.

Regarding running Steam Edition when owning both, For myself I am running the Steam Edition to test compatibility with my necessary addons before I completely uninstall FSX Gold.

Steam Edition seems to perform much better on my machine from an FPS perspective, so as soon as I can get everything working (PilotEdge especially) I will likely uninstall FSX Gold completely.

Sincere thanks for all your work on this product and service.

Regards,
n122vu
Rush

Post by Rush »

Alrighty, so I got mine working today on the Steam Edition.

I had both versions installed at first. After everything I went through in this thread, the thing that worked for me was to reinstall Windows (as I always enjoy a fresh start). I then installed FSX:SE, and the PE client. It installed just fine after making the appropriate registry edits. Then when I would try to run it I got a "side-by-side" error. At that point I just used Keith's 3 step process of installing the 1. SP1 simconnect, 2. removing the dll, and 3. running as Administrator. It works great now. Glad to be back up and running.

Not sure what was causing my simconnect error. I looked all over AVsim and other various forums to find a solution. Something was affecting my Simconnect from recognizing the sim.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

N122VU, if it crashes at the end, you can assume it's done what it needs to do (this happens for some people, but in 100% of the cases so far, the installation is effectively finished).

So, your next step should be to see if you can run the PE client and have it speak with your FSX;SE instance.
n122vu

Post by n122vu »

Keith,

Thanks for the clarification. I'll be away for the weekend but will give it a try first thing next week. In the meantime I have it successfully connecting back to my original FSX installation (apologies to the ground and tower controllers covering Fullerton and John Wayne last night as I popped on and off for testing).

Thanks again,
n122vu