Flying a radial with the 430?

djrisc

Flying a radial with the 430?

Post by djrisc »

Hello,
So I'm starting to beat away the cobwebs from being away from sim flying for so long.

One question I have is when flying IFR, if you get a route via the controller that contains radials, how do you program that in X-Planes 430? Can you even enter in a radial? (It doesn't seem like you can.)

So for example:
+SLI V23 POPPR SMO125 SMO SMO317 CANOG

Would I just enter my flightplan in as:
SLI
POPPR
SMO
CANOG
KVNY

and then switch to OBS mode on the SMO leg?

Just trying to figure out the proper way of doing things as I have limited 430 experience.

Thanks!
Brett Johnson
Los Angeles, CA.
PE: Skyhawk C172 - N8979T
Keith Smith

Re: Flying a radial with the 430?

Post by Keith Smith »

On any given leg, you need to determine if you're going to fly using VOR or GPS for the course guidance. The Garmin 430 unit has a GPS receiver as well as a VOR receiver. You can use the CDI button to swap between GPS and VOR mode.

Your flight plan in the GPS is fine. In this case, direct legs between those fixes matches the ground track of the cleared route. So, there's no need for OBS mode (which allows you to dial in a desired course to a fix, rather than the direct course from the previous fix), or the CDI mode to swap to the course guidance from the VOR receiver in the 430.

It gets more tricky when the cleared route involve doglegs that don't have named fixes. the SMO125R to V64 is a good example of this.
djrisc

Post by djrisc »

Thanks for the quick and very helpful reply Keith! I'll give it another go tonight using CDI in VOR mode on those legs to get used to it.

Thanks again!

Brett
Brett Johnson
Los Angeles, CA.
stevekirks

Post by stevekirks »

Quick question:

I've scoured instructions but can't find a way to load a FP from disk into the GNS430. Is that because there *isn't* a way to do that?
Steve Kirks (sKirks on Twitch)
KSGF--I-10 rated
Student Pilot
I invented the Alphabet Challenge, what's your excuse?
Alphabet Challenge
Tim Krajcar

Post by Tim Krajcar »

I don't have my X-Plane handy, but I ended up doing a keybinding to a gps_load command (or something like that). Works OK.
Tim Krajcar
Live streams at http://twitch.tv/Tim_PE
View past flights on YouTube
kullery

Post by kullery »

can't find a way to load a FP from disk into the GNS430.
430.jpg
430.jpg (26.11 KiB) Viewed 6632 times
  • Save .FMS file in the "\Output\FMS plans" directory
  • Select "FPL" button
  • Goto the "FLIGHT PLAN CATALOG" on second page (turn inner "CRSR" knob)
  • Push "CRSR" and turn to select desired Flight Plan
  • Push "ENT" to load the flight plan
.FMS files for all TEC routes are available for download at MyFlightRoute.com (shameless plug :))
Ken Ullery - PPL-SEL, 1G5
stevekirks

Post by stevekirks »

kullery wrote:.FMS files for all TEC routes are available for download at MyFlightRoute.com (shameless plug :))
*That's* where I got the file I wanted to save. Many thanks for the details. I'll try it out when I'm back in front of the sim. I figured it was this simple, just needed to know the right directory.
Steve Kirks (sKirks on Twitch)
KSGF--I-10 rated
Student Pilot
I invented the Alphabet Challenge, what's your excuse?
Alphabet Challenge
golfpilot

Post by golfpilot »

My two cents on this subject in regards to installing a flight plan into a gps.

In real life, unless I am using a gtn750, it is much easier to fly using the ground fixes than it is to figure out how to load and confirm a gps. I always use ground based navigation unless I get a "Direct to" instruction. With an Ipad supplementing the VOR needle it is just as accurate and adds a tad of redundancy you don't get using GPS only.

I can't describe in words how hard it is descending into the LA basin, in moderate turbulence, at 160IAS and trying to reprogram a 430 to match the 1 minute long modification to your flight plan. Touching your map a few times and dialing your VORs is much easier
Andrew Roberts
Real World Private Pilot w/instrument
Walnut Creek, CA
PE callsign: N56PA
twharrell

Post by twharrell »

Nice video that might help answer your question, although programming the RW unit is more user friendly than doing it in the sim (i.e turning knobs is often easier than using a mouse).

http://youtu.be/WjsOnXGmAxg
Regards,

Todd
djrisc

Post by djrisc »

Awesome! Thanks! I'll have a look at it.

I get around the annoying mouse knobs using controllers. I didn't want to have to touch the keyboard/mouse while flying. For the 430 (and a few other systems) I repurposed a DJ controller I had lying around my studio.

I'm using this, as it has knobs with push buttons very similar to the 430, I just have to use two knobs each to equal the 430's multi-knob. I just turn it sideways next to my yoke and i'm all set!:

Brett Johnson
Los Angeles, CA.