Ending Rental assignments - brake not working

FSE and PE make for a powerful combination
Talan2000

Ending Rental assignments - brake not working

Post by Talan2000 »

Pilots

Ok I'm a little bit scared at how addictive FSE is and I have only flown for 1 day! Couldn't believe I was flying out to riverside ranch estates and landing on a gravel strip in a doggy 172!

Anyway one smal annoyance seems to be that contrary to the quick start guide, setting the parking brake after landing does NOT end the assignment for me.

The only way I have been able to end assignments is to shut down the engine. Am I doing something wrong? Is this a function of me flying rentals (to kill the Hobbs/tac ?).

Using 1.8.0 version of fse Python bits

Thanks!

Todd
lwilliams

Re: Ending Rental assignments - brake not working

Post by lwilliams »

I was always under the impression that ending an assignment meant you had to apply the parking brake and shut down the engine.

If I am doing multiple assignments and am too lazy to shut down engine, I apply parking brake when stopped and the cut off the choke enough to end the assignment, then push to choke forward again to keep engine running. Remember to restart the mission again to start the next leg though.
Lee Williams
Talan2000

Post by Talan2000 »

Thanks again guys

I guess it's working as designed but not documented :)

From the quickstart:

The Very Basics
Land and set your parking brake Now check your bank account to see how much money you made! ...

From the Manual

"Fly to your destination, set the parking brakes and shutdown the engine. The engine shutdown (in FS2002/FS9)or the parking brakes (FSX, "v" in X-Plane) is the trigger for FSE to stop recording and calculate the flight. Even if you have a multi-hop assignment (i.e. picking up more passengers at another airport before heading to your final destination), you will need to shut down. (For more information, see 'Multi-hop assignments' on the 'Assignments' page.)"
BluesmanEP

Post by BluesmanEP »

Just a quick note about ending flights in FSE...

Markus (Teddii on the FSE forums) has written an update to the X-plane client that will look for slightly different parameters when ending a flight. They are basically the same, however some cirteria have gotten more strict. Also rotor brakes are needed to log a helicopter flight.

Here's a link for more information about the new client:
http://www.fseconomy.net/forum/xplane-1 ... sion-1-8-1

The update has NOT gone live on the FSE servers yet, so people using the new 1.8.1 client won't be able to connect.
BE58 - N4854B
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

lwilliams wrote:I was always under the impression that ending an assignment meant you had to apply the parking brake and shut down the engine.

If I am doing multiple assignments and am too lazy to shut down engine, I apply parking brake when stopped and the cut off the choke enough to end the assignment, then push to choke forward again to keep engine running. Remember to restart the mission again to start the next leg though.
So you let your new pax board with the engines running? That's good times right there :)

I like that it forces an engine shutdown. Part of the challenge of a quick turn is getting shutdown and started back up again....it's tiring, but it's exactly what a charter pilot who is doing quick turns would have to do. I guess it depends on what you're shooting for in your simulation, but I find it beneficial and realistic.
Talan2000

Post by Talan2000 »

Good point Keith,

I guess my laziness knows no bounds :) I'll shutdown and embrace the realism!

Todd
wmburns

Post by wmburns »

Just because I'm considering going back to FSE after a long absence I want to know. What if flying a twin during a multi-hop trip and only one engine is shut down (IE the one on the side the PAX load on)?

In the real world would only shutting down a single engine in a twin be prohibited?

I'm using X-Plane now. But the last time I was on FSE I was using FSX. For the life of me, I only remember setting the parking brake to end the segment. Is there a difference between X-Plane and FSX?
Peter Grey

Post by Peter Grey »

Just because I'm considering going back to FSE after a long absence I want to know. What if flying a twin during a multi-hop trip and only one engine is shut down (IE the one on the side the PAX load on)?

In the real world would only shutting down a single engine in a twin be prohibited?

I'm using X-Plane now. But the last time I was on FSE I was using FSX. For the life of me, I only remember setting the parking brake to end the segment. Is there a difference between X-Plane and FSX?
Real world this is legal (if not loud), FSE won't allow it however (I just discovered FSE and have been flying a B1900 around).
Peter Grey
PilotEdge Director of Quality Assurance and Operations
peter@pilotedge.net
BluesmanEP

Post by BluesmanEP »

I'm 90% sure you only need to shutdown engine 1 (and apply the parking break) for the FSE client to log the flight. However, this may depend on which sim you're using, so I could be totally all wet.
BE58 - N4854B