Task-Saturated Penguin FBO network, changed hub to 46CA

FSE and PE make for a powerful combination
Keith Smith

Re: Task-Saturated Penguin FBO network, changed hub to 46CA

Post by Keith Smith »

Am aware, but you have to know that getting the word out about that is non-trivial :)
Peter Grey

Post by Peter Grey »

Am aware, but you have to know that getting the word out about that is non-trivial :)
True, hopefully my post gets to most of the people who will be using the FBO.

As for me, I'll be going back to my lonely FBO at P20.
Peter Grey
PilotEdge Director of Quality Assurance and Operations
peter@pilotedge.net
Peter Grey

Post by Peter Grey »

Yup that's what I'm working on. Just need money first.
Peter Grey
PilotEdge Director of Quality Assurance and Operations
peter@pilotedge.net
Tim Krajcar

Post by Tim Krajcar »

Keith Smith wrote:I just remembered, they paint an 'R' on the threshold for private airports, not an 'X'.
Interesting, I'd never of heard that, but it makes a lot of sense.
gavink42 wrote:All we need is someone on the X-Plane and FSX/P3D sides to make us a decent looking airport, and we call it home!
Absolutely! This happened with FSE many years ago - a group bought a FBO at a tiny little real-world airport in the Columbia Gorge (4S2, Ken Jernstedt Airfield in Hood River, OR) and then developed their own custom scenery that turned it into a busy little strip with individualized/personalized hangars, etc. Count me in favor :)
Tim Krajcar
Live streams at http://twitch.tv/Tim_PE
View past flights on YouTube
bawells

Post by bawells »

RWY 10 has one hell of an approach with that hill 2500' off the end of it. I tried it both steep and a quick base to final tonight bouncing my poor 206 (rental) pretty hard both times and _definitely_ cooked the brakes. It's a fun little field though!
Ben Wells
N384BW
Twitch: uberb0t
Alphabet Challenge
trigger_fsx

Post by trigger_fsx »

bawells wrote:RWY 10 has one hell of an approach with that hill 2500' off the end of it. I tried it both steep and a quick base to final tonight bouncing my poor 206 (rental) pretty hard both times and _definitely_ cooked the brakes. It's a fun little field though!
Same thing happened to me ;)

BTW, my little Cessna is now based at 46CA for anyone to use and abuse.
Jacques Le Roux
N841LR
wmburns

Post by wmburns »

Keith Smith wrote:That might be because of the ridge just west of the airport. There's no published CTAF, so that's going to make it interesting :)
I tried a ton of times to land a Barron 58 at 46CA. A whole host of problems including:
  • Landing at the wrong airport (nearby L54). :oops:
  • Fog bank less than 100' above the runway. Field perfectly clear. Field made and then smack into ZERO visibility. interesting go around with zero visibility given the terrain in the area!
  • Excessive speed on final followed by over shoot and/or ballooning.
  • overall in general poor pilot technique regarding short field and obstacle avoidance.
To me it looks like both runway 28 and 10 have significant elevation obstacles to avoid. Given the problems I was having in the BE58, it's amazing to me that anyone could get a King Air in and out. My hats off to you.

I'm interested in hearing ideas how best to get a BE58 in/out of 46CA. Short base to final? If so, what altitude to use?

If using a steep low energy decent, what the maximum practical rate of decent? If the airplane's energy is too low and the rate of decent is too high couldn't this set up a situation where a flare isn't possible?

RWY 28 USED FOR TAKEOFF AND RWY 10 FOR LNDG ONLY
bawells

Post by bawells »

I'm not sure how best to put the Barron down but I spent a few hours doing laps in a 172 this weekend trying to find the best approach and found that a wide pattern, full flaps, keeping the airspeed just above a stall and chopping the throttle when established on final allowed me to essentially glide it to the runway with fairly consistent sub 100ft/s landing speeds. I don't think this would be practical in the real world though as I was definitely not a safe distance from the hill when turning final while barely keeping the plane above a stall. I wanted as much of that 2500' between the hill and the runway as I could take and as much headroom on speed as I could. I was probably only 300 ft above the runway elevation turning final.

I've decided that whoever this Norman fellow is that owns the field in the real world is probably an angry old man that doesn't want anyone to land at his private airport and has published these usage rules to discourage people from using it and himself uses 28 for landings and 10 for takeoffs :roll:

Anyways, I too am curious to hear from someone like Keith on what the 'textbook' approach would be given the terrain.
Ben Wells
N384BW
Twitch: uberb0t
Alphabet Challenge
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Just did my first ops at 46CA in a fixed wing (previous arrival was with the Chinook!), used the stock Baron at stock weight & fuel. Took off runway 28, left 45 departure. Non-event.

Made a straight in rwy 10. It's a non-event in the stock Baron, but the stock Baron also has incredible amounts of drag when you're at full flap. I know a Baron owner, I'll have to ask what descent rate he gets at 90kts, props forward, idle and full flap.. So, straight in is a non-event, but I'd like to try it with some other planes before calling that one a no-brainer.

Otherwise, you can arrive using a modified straight in (basically the reverse of the departure path). I'm uploading a YT vid of my first attempts now: http://youtu.be/nuLvbHRjBcI

It should be up in 15-20 mins.

The video capture didn't go as I'd hoped, I'd set up the screen for 1920x1080 for recording, but just as it did, my second screen crapped out, causing the first screen to revert back to its original full resolution. As a result, the video capture doesn't get the full panel or the full visual, but there's enough to see what's going on with the flight path.