Task-Saturated Penguin FBO network, changed hub to 46CA

FSE and PE make for a powerful combination
Peter Grey

Re: Task-Saturated Penguin FBO network, changed hub to 46CA

Post by Peter Grey »

Very nice! I have a different approach, and an idea for a competition... Two actually.

Will video the approach and will share the competition next time we are at 46ca together. I won't practice the two events in advance.
Thanks, and trying to draw me out of competitive flying retirement I see... ;)
Peter Grey
PilotEdge Director of Quality Assurance and Operations
peter@pilotedge.net
David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert »

Why do I get the feeling I going see a video of someone attempting to land an Airbus A350 at 46CA?
Normal call sign: N8295L or TPX
stevekirks

Post by stevekirks »

I fired this up in FSX since that's the only big iron I've got. PMDG 777 cresting the ridge at 125kts empty with maybe 10,000 of fuel and I couldn't get it down without putting the wheels through the wings...sadface.
Steve Kirks (sKirks on Twitch)
KSGF--I-10 rated
Student Pilot
I invented the Alphabet Challenge, what's your excuse?
Alphabet Challenge
bawells

Post by bawells »

Two things:

1. Whoever put that Caravan on the field, THANK YOU. It rules. I'm saving up my FSE bucks to buy one to leave there with appropriate bonus settings to keep it in the area. In the meantime I plan on working routes to where I can always return it to the Rancho, even if I have to deadhead it.

2. This is more administrative - does anyone else see value in having some sticky'd thread for each of the FBO networks? This thread is appropriately off topic but would be ambiguous to a newcomer that might benefit from discussion around the FBO networks in use on PE. First post in each of said thread (TSP and Golden Eagle.. and?) could have some details about spokes, etc. Just throwing that out there.
Ben Wells
N384BW
Twitch: uberb0t
Alphabet Challenge
jagipson

Post by jagipson »

If you guys don't think this field is *ideal* for a VFR DC-3, Think again!

I only seem to make about 3K per flight, but I've never lost money on a flight. At some point, I'll have the funds to buy something (I'm saving for a C210, but since the only one currently for sale is in Tanzania, and I don't feel like ferrying a C210 across the Atlantic). I might be getting something else. I like the BE C90, MU-2, and the DC-3 for twins, and I like the C210, and C208, and PC-12 for singles. I'm thinking about stationing myself out of this field for a while because of the landing challenge and the navigational challenge of finding the field -- Mind you, without GPS.

One issue I have, is that not even a PA32 will fit on the taxiway in the default scenery. I like to remain as realistic as possible. Is the taxiway really only 10' wide, or is it a scenery bug in XP10? I suppose that there's scenery available for XP10, as evidenced by the "Helicopter Tennis" shenaniganry, but does the scenery modify the runway/taxiway or is that pristine?

Also what is the appropriate way to determine the UNICOM frequency for this field? The sectional only has the field elevation and runway length. I cannot find AF/D for this airport either. I see that 122.9 seems to be it, but I figured that out only by using the PE live map and looking at what people are tuned to, and that feels like "cheating."
kullery

Post by kullery »

jagipson wrote: I see that 122.9 seems to be it, but I figured that out only by using the PE live map "
https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publica ... m0401.html 4-1-9 b.

FYI - I have updated the MyFlightRoute.com database to display "MULTICOM 122.9" for airports that do not have a published CTAF frequency.
Ken Ullery - PPL-SEL, 1G5
stevekirks

Post by stevekirks »

jagipson wrote: One issue I have, is that not even a PA32 will fit on the taxiway in the default scenery. I like to remain as realistic as possible. Is the taxiway really only 10' wide, or is it a scenery bug in XP10? I suppose that there's scenery available for XP10, as evidenced by the "Helicopter Tennis" shenaniganry, but does the scenery modify the runway/taxiway or is that pristine?

Also what is the appropriate way to determine the UNICOM frequency for this field? The sectional only has the field elevation and runway length. I cannot find AF/D for this airport either. I see that 122.9 seems to be it, but I figured that out only by using the PE live map and looking at what people are tuned to, and that feels like "cheating."
If you look at the satellite view in Google Earth or Maps I don't see a taxiway at all. It also looks like the reason for the odd departure and arrival runway is that there might have been some type of neighborhood issue. Also, in Google Earth shows the runway is 20 feet wide and no taxiway.

Also, the Butterfield Ranch just to the west is owned by the same person as Rancho Vallecito. I'm *this close* to calling the guy to ask why on earth the takeoff/landing is set that way.
KSGF--I-10 rated
Student Pilot
Alphabet Challenge
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Ken, you mentioned that you have a new FBO pointing at 46CA, what was the identifier? I'll add it to the list.
kullery

Post by kullery »

Keith Smith wrote:Ken, you mentioned that you have a new FBO pointing at 46CA, what was the identifier? I'll add it to the list.
MyFlightRoute.com, in association with the Task-Saturated Penguin Network, is proud to announce the establishment of our first FBO at the Emory Ranch in Ocatillo, CA (0CA6). Emory Ranch is the offical supplier of sheep to the TSP network. Stop by and see the sheep in their native environment.

I hope to have scenery availabe soon (which is important since x-plane overlooked this airport).
Ken Ullery - PPL-SEL, 1G5
stevekirks

Post by stevekirks »

kullery wrote:I hope to have scenery availabe soon (which is important since x-plane overlooked this airport).
Bonus points if you place the wind turbines too...
KSGF--I-10 rated
Student Pilot
Alphabet Challenge