Openstreetmap Edits around KSNA and W2XP

nigelmcelwee

Openstreetmap Edits around KSNA and W2XP

Post by nigelmcelwee »

Just thought I would let you guys know im addicted to Openstreetmap!! I was playing around with it yesterday around the KSNA area adding buildings, parking, and roadways that are on the map and today the geofabrik site had all my edits in there. I encourage those XPlane users who fly on PE to go into southern california and help to add buildings. Its quick and easy using the potlatch system in openstreet match. The user guide is very helpful. and geofabrik has daily updates so I download a new california pbf file daily and run it for california while im eating dinner and there are always new updates.
Dustin

Re: Openstreetmap Edits around KSNA and W2XP

Post by Dustin »

I've used the scenery hosted at SimHeaven some. I think he uses the same tool to generate it, but he only updates a few times a year. I'm always left a little disappointed from the updates. I'd be interested in seeing a screenshot of what you are able to do, maybe I'm not doing something right.
nigelmcelwee

Post by nigelmcelwee »

sure I would love to help you out. You can edit the scenery if you sign up on openstreetmap and then it updates nightly around 2100 Zulu. So the updates you made can go in the next day and you can download the osm pbf for your state the next day and it will have the updates. See below for a screenshot of what ive done around KSNA. There is also some extensive work from other people too. I am working on the industrial park just north of the airfield right now and generating all those buildings and parking lots. So all the buildings in purple, ive created and classified. Took about 2 hours and added some walkways, etc....

the buildings I have created are highlighted and all the roads you see were built. Its actually quite easy its just very time consuming but well worth it. I suggest you download the latest pbf file and do a regeneration of just California. A LOT has been changed since the beta sceneries on simheaven.

hornetm

Post by hornetm »

ok i think I am a bit confused. I am super interested in this but I can't seem to find exactly how this all works. How do you use this data in xplane? And how do you update it. Sorry, I'm a newbie to xplane having finally forced myself from FSX and loving XP10. Thanks
theluckyone17

Post by theluckyone17 »

I assume you can import the PBF data into X-Plane by using World2XPlane? http://world2xplane.com/2014/03/12/quick-start-guide/
nigelmcelwee

Post by nigelmcelwee »

Yes. Just follow that quickstart guide. You need to download the world2xplane beta program. And then download the state pbf file from the geofabrik site listed in the quickstart tutorial. You would go to north America then california. Then download the pbf. Also right click and save the poly exclusion file as well.

When you run the program you will select the pbf file you've saved. Go to the advanced tab and slept the poly file you saved for California. It will be a htm file. Then you click run. About 45 minutes will go by and it will generate a folder called California latest. You then want to put x_ in the front of the filename so it puts it way down next to anyone overlay files you have in the custom scenery folder.

Then go to California and have a look around. Santa Monica Burbank and orange county look amazing. Not to mention do town Los Angeles.
nigelmcelwee

Post by nigelmcelwee »

hornetm wrote:ok i think I am a bit confused. I am super interested in this but I can't seem to find exactly how this all works. How do you use this data in xplane? And how do you update it. Sorry, I'm a newbie to xplane having finally forced myself from FSX and loving XP10. Thanks
I'd say for now just get used to using world2xplane before attempting to create the scenery for it. It updates daily so I like to run it every day and regenerate but it takes about 45 min. You can run it weekly but if you go to openstreetmap.org you will see Los Angeles has quite a lot of data already. The guys at world2xplane have a great tutorial and quickstart guide and their forum on x-plane.org is very helpful.