ATC Questions

tbo1999

ATC Questions

Post by tbo1999 »

Hello all, I've been curious lately how Clearance/Delivery determines a squawk code. Also how do they determine an initial climb altitude and heading if you are not on a SID. Is this something that us as pilots can predict. (Basing this on an IFR clearance)

Thanks
Keith Smith

Re: ATC Questions

Post by Keith Smith »

The squawk code is essentially random. The departure heading is specified in a Letter of Agreement between the tower and the overlying TRACON (approach), or center facility if no TRACON is present.

You can predict the heading only if you've been to that airport before and have worked out which headings are assigned under various circumstances.
HRutila

Post by HRutila »

In real life ATC facilities are delegated certain blocks of codes. They are usually quite predictable if you fly the same routes every day. But like Keith said that's something not simulated here.
Harold Rutila
COMM-MEL/CFII
par2005

Post by par2005 »

Sometimes you can find this information in the airport websites. More often than not this is what will be used in your vfr clearance.

For example, KSNA:

http://www.ocair.com/generalaviation/pi ... ation.aspx
NORMAL VFR DEPARTURE ROUTES:
Departing SE: El Toro Departure - "Fly heading 080° "
Departing S: Newport Departure - "Fly heading 150° "
Departing SW: Mesa Departure - "Fly heading 220° "
Departing NW: Orange Departure - "Fly heading 330° "
Squawk Code, Advisory Frequency, and Altitude as assigned.
Pilots not requesting radar service beyond the surface area of the Class C airspace may state “local” when requesting their departure route. (Example: “John Wayne Clearance, Cessna N739MB, west-side parking, Mesa Local Departure.”) Local radar service will be terminated upon exiting the 5 nm surface area of the Class C airspace. Pilots must then remain clear of all other regulated airspace, including the upper tier of the Class C airspace.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Harold,

While each facility does have a block of codes, it's not really possible to predict your exact squawk code in advance for a given flight as far as I know.
HRutila

Post by HRutila »

Keith Smith wrote:Harold,

While each facility does have a block of codes, it's not really possible to predict your exact squawk code in advance for a given flight as far as I know.
Right, the exact code cannot be predicted, but the first two digits, particularly for a VFR flight following or practice approach request can be. If you're the first guy who calls the facility as soon as they open you're pretty much guaranteed going to get 4301, but that's a rarity because I'm a night owl. :)
Harold Rutila
COMM-MEL/CFII